Wednesday, February 22, 2012

And Now for the Season of Repentance

That would be Lent.  Not that I observe Lent in any way anymore, but I do usually celebrate Fat Tuesday in some way, even if only by cooking grillades and grits.

Except yesterday was Fat Tuesday, and nary a grit graced our lips.  We did eat some cornmeal mush, which is kind of similar, but is without doubt exceptionally northern.

I just . . . forgot.  I almost bought a King Cake at the grocery store on Sunday, but it said right on the box, "CONTAINS NO FIGURINE."  What's the point of a King Cake without the baby Jesus as choking hazard lurking inside?  Besides, buying a King Cake from an upstate New York grocery store just feels very wrong.

Anyway, it's sort of hard to get into the Bacchanalian spirit when it's 35 degrees and spitting down sleet.  That sort of atmosphere does not encourage the revelry that leads to flashing for beads.  Too cold.

So we missed our chance for our great Mardi Gras celebration.  Oh well.  At least I still manage to keep New Year's in the appropriate way.  Sort of.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, the travesty! Mom will faint (ok, not really). We had our Mardi Gras party Sunday: grillades and grits, greens, red beans and all. Which meant Tuesday was just mexican, but oh well. I DID get a local cake (and yes, seemed wrong to get it from a DC bakery) and although it had a shiny gold baby, the taste was, well, just not quite right. So just as well you didn't get the fake cake, probably.

Anyway, happy belated Mardi Gras sis!

-moi

mil said...

Now I shall repent all during Lent for not making a King Cake on Sunday. I did think about it, but I couldn't remember which recipe I had used last time and sort of gave up after looking at several that did not seem right. Next year I'll do better, promise.

rls said...

I'm in San Antonio for work, and yesterday a coworker picked me up for dinner wearing a couple of strands of beads. I told him I didn't want to know what he had to do to earn them, although at least down here it's warm enough for whatever it might have been...