Sunday, February 19, 2012

Nothing To Do with the Country

Let's have an entirely non-rural talk today, shall we?  Yes.

Tonight A. and I are abandoning our (not very) sickly child to the care of his grandmother so that we can drive all the way to the Not Quite As Small City for a belated Valentine's dinner.  We're driving all that way because I have decreed that I want Thai food.  Basically, I want to go somewhere that does not offer burgers on the menu.  Such exotic fare is not available any closer than almost an hour from our house, so we will drive, because dammit, I want curry.

Sometimes, you just have to assert yourself.

Sometime this week, I will once again abandon my hopefully-no-longer-sickly child to go shoe shopping.  The big trip to Arizona for my sister's wedding is approaching rapidly.  I have a dress for the wedding*, but I do not have shoes for the dress.  I suppose it would be possible to shop for shoes while attempting to contain my rambunctious and sometimes-destructive toddler, but I would really, really rather not.  So I'll leave the Great Destroyer at home to have some quality time with his father while I indulge myself in some frivolous consumer activity.

I can't wait.

And in case you come here only for the up-to-the-moment rural news bulletins that are our normal fare, I'll just quickly mention that A.'s friend Jason will be coming again on Wednesday for another day of standing around in the sleet to boil maple sap.

Good times ahead, duckies.  Lots of good times.

* A real-live maternity dress that I found for six bucks at the Salvation Army thrift store.  And it's not ugly!  And it doesn't show excessive amounts of cleavage! It's a non-Christmas miracle. 

6 comments:

sheila said...

Valentine's dinner not on the actual day is brillant! Less crowds, better sevice. Curry, yum!

Drew @ Willpower Is For Fat People said...

"Excessive cleavage"? Can you use those words in that order?

Yes, I went there.

Anonymous said...

Out on your own....a mothers dream.

rls said...

Yum. Now I want Thai food. But since I'm visiting a friend in Minneapolis, I only have to walk about two blocks to get it. Better than having to drive for an hour. Enjoy!

Joellen said...

I hope you have a great supper and that Cubby gets over his croup quickly. Also, good luck finding the perfect pair of shoes. Have you thought about ordering them over the internet. I order most of my shoes these days because I live 45 miles fromthe nearest shoe store.

FinnyKnits said...

A one hour drive is totally acceptable when going in search of Thai food. I hope all of your curry dreams were fulfilled.