Thursday, November 8, 2012

Wrangling in Captivity

Nothing tests your skills at child wrangling like having to keep a toddler and a small baby happy for an hour in a small room.  Which is what I did yesterday at the dentist while A. got his teeth cleaned.

I originally called for an appointment for Cubby, since our dentist said he likes to see kids for the first time around three years old.  But when I called, the receptionist told me that the way they do it is just have the kid go for the first time with the parent for the parent's visit, so the kid can see the whole procedure without any pressure.  And then, maybe the dentist could just quickly look around the kid's mouth.  Okay, that much made sense.

Except . . . what is the kid supposed to do while the parent is getting his or her teeth cleaned?  I mean, I can't be alone in thinking my child will never, ever behave himself for an hour while I'm immobile in a chair with some woman's fingers in my mouth.

I told the receptionist that my son would never sit still for that long.  She said they have a little toy barn and "usually the kids just play with that on the floor during the cleaning."

I may have held the phone away from my ear to stare at it in utter disbelief at this point.  Seriously.  What kind of three-year-olds are showing up at this office and what have their parents drugged them with?

Anyway.  I decided the best thing to do would be to make an appointment for A., who has not been to the dentist since we last had dental coverage lo these many years ago.  That way, he would get his overdue check-up and I would be on hand to control the little cherub.

So we did.  And it was . . . challenging.  There are tools at a dentist's office, you know.  And Cubby has never seen a tool he didn't want to immediately grab and operate.  But first he asks a thousand questions about what it does and how it works.  So we went through the whole million answers phase and then got into the wanting to play with them phase.  And of course, he couldn't play with them.  And he was not happy about that.

He was actually very well-behaved, mostly because I kept up a constant stream of talking and distractions from the time we walked in until A. was set free from his dental prison. I was also holding and trying to placate Charlie, who was hungry and who I did not want to nurse right there in the room with Cubby grabbing at the X-ray machine.

So. Good times all around.

But A. did get his cleaning, the dentist was able to look over Cubby's teeth and didn't spot any problems, and Charlie only cried for about two minutes when we first got there.

I'll call it a success.  But I don't want to do it again.

5 comments:

Phoo-D said...

I think it might be time for a smart phone or at least a Kindle. I seriously don't know how I would make it through some of those hour long situations without the help of a few episodes of Curious George and home videos of Anna running around with chickens, puppies, horses, etc. It buys me much time in situations that aren't kid friendly. Though, seriously, what 3 year-old plays quietly at the dentist for an hour? Totally with you on that one!

flask said...

good luck getting him to sit still when you need him to sit in the chair and get his teeth done instead of playing with the tools.

i bet the dentist doesn't see THAT too often...

Anonymous said...

Does it really take an hour to get your teeth cleaned.....dang?
Go team Blackrock!
Beth

Lindsey at NW Backyard Veggies said...

So...they should be seen around 3, huh? I like that. Someone was giving me guff because I hadn't taken the tot in yet - at 2 1/2 - and I just couldn't understand why they should be seen this early. So I like 3.

I say when it's time to actually get his teeth cleaned, the hygienist should just give him that little drill thingy and let him play with it the whole time. It'll make it go really quick. And if someone get's drilled, well, c'est la vie.

Joan @ Debt of Gratitude said...

I'm not buying your dentist's rationale (about visiting first). I was fortunate to be close to a big city when my kids were little so we went to a pediatric dentist -- where the whole office, decor, layout, approach to service was built around children. It was heaven. My kids didn't switch to my dentist until upper grade school.