Monday, November 5, 2012

Changing

It snowed this morning.

The woodstove is burning all day.

The furnace is in use now, too.

I ate the first in-season grapefruit today.

A. is going to drain the water pump on the beach in anticipation of a hard freeze tonight.

Cubby wore his long underwear pants for the first time yesterday on an excursion to the gully with his daddy.  (And he came home freezing because he thought it would be a good idea to go wading in the stream and fell in.)

On today's gully excursion, Cubby wore his snow pants. (He did not fall in the stream again.)

It may still technically be fall, but it's looking a whole lot like winter from where I sit.

What are your signs of winter, poppets?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gray, gray skies. Geese overhead. The need to wear a hat. Mary in MN

Roger A. Post said...

Having to use a sled to haul log chunks through the snow around back for splitting is one sign of winter around here.

Sherry said...

Why didn't someone remind me to wear gloves on the long walk in from the parking lot to my office this morning. There were snow pellets falling. I'm NOT ready for this!

Anonymous said...

88 degrees, sunny and windy. brushfire burning about a mile away.
Donna in Southern California.
(can I have some winter please?)

Anonymous said...

When the air pressure in my tires goes down, and I have to do battle with the air compressor and the tire gauge in order to get winter air into my tires.

Anonymous said...

Snow...getting the tractor out to grade the snow off of the driveway.
Thinking the dog is nuts for getting in the creek.
Beth/southern IN

al said...

Reading your blog for some time now, I love it.

I live abour 45 min drive from York in England.

Have one woodburner, due to get a second next year. We get most of our wood from the town I live in, skips, dumped / scrap wood or trees we find people cutting down from their gardens. Not putting my gas heating until 15.11.12, (just so we can cut costs, we used to pay approx $150 per month for gas heating it's now down to $50). Temp has really dropped in the last few days, our clocks went back 1 hr last weekend, so it's getting dark at 4pm and frosts in the morning