Friday, May 10, 2013

Regicide

When I told you about our new Welsummer rooster, a couple of you mentioned your own unpleasant experiences with Welsummer roosters. The exact word used, in fact, was "jerk."

Ours wasn't a jerk. He was a complete asshole.

First he flew at A., who promptly thrashed him in the hopes that would teach him a lesson.

Then he jumped at the MiL, who chased him off with the help of the dogs.

At this point, I told A. the rooster was going to have to go. He was obviously too chuffy for his own good. Or rather, for MY good.

And then he attacked Cubby in the dog pen, spurring Cubby (slightly) on the back before I could chase him off by whacking him with the shepherd's crook. I had to hit him hard multiple times to get him to back off.

A. cut off his head today. I plucked him, A. eviscerated him, and he's going to be our Mother's Day dinner. That'll learn the bastard.

Spurring my son was the wrong move for him, obviously. Bet he'll taste good, though.

You tried to tell me. And so I will now add my warnings to yours: Avoid the Welsummer rooster. Unless you're a fan of aggressive assholes.

6 comments:

Drew @ Willpower Is For Fat People said...

And they're apparently stupid, too. You don't attack a cub while momma's around.

Rae said...

:) I was being family-friendly by saying "jerk". Ours was actually a raging dickhead that spurred the crap out of us at every chance he got, and actually got his butt walloped by my turkey toms once when he spurred me in front of them. Apparently he wasn't supposed to attack the bringer-of-food.

I celebrated on the day we butchered Dunder. Glad your kiddo is ok.

sheila said...

That will learn him to never bite the hand that feeds you.... better luck in the next life Mr. Welldumber.

sheila said...

That will learn him to never bite the hand that feeds you.... better luck in the next life Mr. Welldumber.

flask said...

i image that aggressive assholes are tasty.

in a perfect world they would be uniformly good to eat, across every species.

Rose said...

Watch out for Polish roosters too! Very few of them are not assholes. They act all cute and friendly until the hormones kick in and then all they want to do is prove that they are "big men" by jumping on you and attacking. Oh, and they are also dicks to their ladies, too. Sometimes I wonder how certain breeds of chickens ever managed to evolve...