Monday, July 22, 2013

Saucy Fish, Anyone?

We eat a lot of fish. Well, maybe not as much as some people who buy salmon fillets every week at the grocery store or whatever, but a lot more than we would if we weren't friendly with the world's most fanatic fisherman.

Mr. Jason provided us with a couple of large lake trout last night that A. filleted and presented to me. We had them for dinner. And I made my fall-back, no time to cook because the children are screaming (teething and lack of sleep) sauce to go with it. I will now share that sauce with you, should you find yourself in possession of a mild white fish that needs some livening up.

I almost wrote "jazzing up" there, but then I realized that sounds incredibly obnoxious and Food Network-y.

Anyway. Enlivening sauce. Yes.

In a microwavable bowl, put in two tablespoons butter (I use salted, but if you have unsalted, you can use it), about half a tablespoon of minced capers, and about a tablespoon of lemon juice. Plus pepper, if you want.

If you don't have lemon juice, use a bit of vinegar. If you don't have capers*, use more lemon juice. But it's really best with the capers.

Then you put in the microwave for about thirty seconds, until the butter is melted, stir it all up, and there you have it: sauce. For fish. That does not require a separate pan or multiple ingredients.

You're welcome.

* One of these days, when I completely lose my mind and I'm not chasing around after time-sucking children, I will try pickling nasturtium buds as a caper substitute. You can do that, you know. At least, that's what I hear. 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think pickling nasturtium buds...is something someone enough money to have someone do it for you ....like Martha or P. Allen.
Or someone who has completely run out of anything else to do. ;)
Beth

tu mere said...

I've never used capers, although a lot of recipes call for them. From your blog, it sounds like they are a lemony tasting something, so I'll have to buy some and try your flavor-enhancing sauce. Our tilapia sounds a bit like your trout, if you take away the fresh and unprocessed part!

mil said...

Should I take this as a challenge? I didn't grow any nasturtiums this year, but I could easily be encouraged to do so-- the edible flowers would please everyone in a salad, and if the buds actually got pickled, we would know whether or not it is worth it. Since we use maybe one jar of capers per year, even with the fish, we can always rely on the store stuff if the buds don't work out. By the way, if you ever find the fresh capers in a specialty market, they are pretty terrific.

rls said...

Yum - I can't wait to try this.

FinnyKnits said...

Hmmm...pickled nasturtium buds...this sounds like something ridiculously time consuming and tedious that I would totally do.