Tuesday, January 7, 2014

The Story of the Hour

That would be the cold. Or maybe that should be The COLD.

Yeah. It's cold. Currently two degrees at Blackrock. It's hellishly windy (always a hit with me, you may recall). This means that not only would it be very uncomfortable to be outside for any period of time, it would also be dangerous.

I was kind of counting on preschool today for Cubby to get through the day. The day that started with Charlie waking up at 4:30 this morning and crying for a couple of hours before going back to sleep. My demoralization was complete when I checked my e-mail and found that preschool is canceled for the day.

But hey! It could be worse! We could be like Mr. Jason.

See, Mr. Jason was in Arizona at the same time we were. He goes every year to Phoenix to see his mom for Christmas. He and A. met up for an epic overnight fishing trip north of Phoenix while we were there. Once he got there, that is. He was involved in the massive travel delays the weekend before Christmas. It took him two days to get to Arizona. He was supposed to leave Phoenix on December 30.

He called yesterday to tell us he's still in Phoenix. Yeah. He's been stuck there for a full week. No seats are available on any airline that he can find. He can't get home. He's a lot more fortunate than most, in that he's waiting in a place in which he has a place to stay, and he has no emergencies waiting at home (like pets or a house with freezing pipes).

But still. A WEEK. The very thought makes me panicky.

So I may be stuck in my house with two fussy children, but at least I'm in my house. There's a silver lining if ever there was one.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe Cubby could lead preschool at home today....show Charlie and mom how it is done.
Beth

Anonymous said...

I just heard from a friend who is stuck in Puerto Rico for another week. Normally, one would celebrate, but she and her husband have to foot the hotel bill for the additional week, and she should be home preparing to start a new job on Monday! Mary in Frozen MN

Daisy said...

I hear you! I made my way around the house filling humidifiers, making sure we had extra blankets, and finding excuses to use the oven. Because, you see, I didn't have school - just like your Cubby - so I was at home all day driving my son crazy. Not too crazy, though; he enjoyed having company for his favorite shows on MeTV.