Saturday, April 12, 2014

Bald Is Beautiful . . . I Guess

Ever since Charlie was a wee thing, he's had issues with his scalp. Gross, dry, scaly issues that never really go away. I guess it's just a variation on cradle cap, but it sure is persistent. I never wash it with shampoo, for fear of further drying, and in fact before every bath I brush his head vigorously with a soft-bristled brush and then rub in baby oil.

Unfortunately, as his hair has gotten thicker, it has gotten harder for me to really brush his scalp clean of the dry skin and his hair tended to absorb most of the oil. Not only did this mean that his scalp wasn't benefiting from the oil, it also meant that the day after a bath his hair would have a very unpleasant greased look.

Charming.

Finally, last week, A. suggested that maybe we should buzz his hair off in order to better treat the ever-worsening dry scalp. I am not a fan of the buzz cut look on my sons, and in fact go through quite a bit of hassle to give them actual haircuts with scissors rather than just shaving it all off every month. But I had to reluctantly agree that we had to do something.

Leave it to me, A said. I'll just use my beard trimmer and cut it to the same length as my beard, he said.

Never trust a man with clippers.



Mom, does my head look like this potato?

Obviously, that is not beard-length hair. That's straight-up bald. When A. started with the buzzer (an activity that really did not go over well with Charlie, who was pinned in my lap and obviously felt completely betrayed by both of his parents), he discovered that the hair was too fine for a somewhat long buzz cut. So off it all came.

I am . . . not pleased with the aesthetics of the result. Charlie, however, could not care less.



Cubby gets great delight in referring to his little brother as Mr. Bald Head. And I must admit his scalp looks a lot better already.

Even if his head does kind of resemble one of those potatoes.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glee , mirth....Charlie usually looks worried....glad to see some happy from him. Beth :)

Roger A. Post said...

Since I gave myself an identical haircut yesterday, I'd have to say that Charlie's haircut looks great!

Anonymous said...

It is possible that more direct sunlight on Charlie's head will help clear up his skin. I have rosacea, and the judicious application of sunshine (not too much) often clears it up.

Lindsey at NW Backyard Veggies said...

I am all for natural remedies, but I have two words for you: Neutrogena T-gel.
The Tot had that same persistent cradle cap thing for YEARS (Until 3.5). It is now only going away with the T-gel. 2x/week.
I tried all the natural stuff before I went to the chemicals, but nothing helped.
I, too, have scrubbed at my child's head with a toothbrush in one hand and bottle of oil in the other. Always gave her Kurt Cobain hair for 3 days afterwards. Not fun.
T-gel it up!
BTW- I think the little man looks edgy with his bald top.

Tara said...

Oh WOW! Sorry to say I did have a chuckle. He does indeed look like a little Spud! :D
Hope it helps with the scalp issues
xx
T

Unknown said...

I agree with you. I think shaving his head would allow you to be able to focus and treat his drying scalp. That is a delicate condition, especially for kids. You might want to consult with a dermatologist though, just to be sure. :)

Amanda Mazzocchi @ Good Look Ink