Saturday, April 5, 2014

On Trend

Okay, I have a confession: I bought a pair of skinny jeans.

I KNOW. I am a thirty-four-year-old mother of two children. Are skinny jeans a ridiculous choice for me? Probably. But dammit all if they don't look really good on me.

So. I bought them. Now we shall see if I can actually wear them in public without feeling like a complete toolbox.

I also attempted to buy a hair clip. Just a nice, normal hair clip, of the sort that lies flat on the head and has a metal clasp on it to hold the hair back. You know those ones that look kind of like a really big barrette? You know the ones.

So I went into Claire's to find one. Claire's is that chain store in malls that caters to little girls, where you can get your ears pierced with a FREE PAIR OF EARRINGS INCLUDED!

Their advertising involves a lot of caps and exclamation points. It's that kind of place.

I explained what I wanted to the very young salesperson, who looked a little confused and said, "Like, for you?"

Yes. Yes, like, for me, the haggard old lady standing in front of you in (the horror!) bootcut jeans.

Little did she know there were skinny jeans in the bag I was carrying.

Anyway.

Once I answered in the affirmative that yes, the clip was for me, she said, "The only ones we have are these, and I don't think they're what you're looking for."

Since the clips she was referring to had gigantic neon-pink bows attached to them, I had to agree.

I might be able to get away with the skinny jeans, but bows like that in my hair would be a little much.

4 comments:

Daisy said...

Try Walgreens or CVS for the hair clips. I've had good luck there. I think they cater to the real world rather than the teenagers who look natural with the little bows.

Anonymous said...

Yay for the skinny jeans and looking good in them.... good for the self esteem. Beth

tu mere said...

Hope you got two pair because you know how difficult it is to find jeans that really fit, and you're kind of hard on your clothes. Age has nothing to do with what you buy; it's the mirror that makes the decision for us all. Yeah for Skinny!

flask said...

if the pants look good on you, wear they right past when they go out of style.

that's what i would do.

oh, wait... i don;t think i've ever bought anything that's IN style.

but occasionally something i wear COMES into style for a while, so i stock up.