Tuesday, May 13, 2014

A.P.D.--The Housework and Public Shaming Edition

The MiL hosted her book group last night at our house, which of course meant that I spent yesterday cleaning up. In my case, that meant outside and inside because when the weather is warm we live almost equally both inside and out.

Outside: Random bits of boards used to make a road for Cubby's firetruck, the weight bar A. lifts with, some of A.'s traps that Cubby had "set" on the lawn to catch Charlie, various muddy boots and on and on and on.

Inside: Too many damn books and newspapers and magazines to be believed because we are too literate, an incredible array of toy pieces (blocks, puzzle pieces, a magnetic fishing pole, hammers, confiscated swords, etc.), sunscreen, receipts, Mia's broken dog collar, a magnifying glass, and on and on and on.

It took me over an hour just to get the downstairs in order, and that was before I did the actual sweeping and dusting and vacuuming.

I always think, while doing this, that it would be so much easier if I would just keep it neat all the time. Then all I would have to do is the actual cleaning, not the picking up. I'm not saying we live in squalor; it's mostly picked up and mostly clean at all times. We do toy pick-up every night before bed, but there are always bits and pieces that get under tables and chairs or are just so random I don't even know what to do with them (piece of ribbon that was a fishing line and MUST be saved? there is no place for that). Those things build up incrementally until company is coming.

Because the embarrassing truth is that without the threat of public shaming, I am not motivated to really clean my house.

There. I said it.

Now, how about you, my lovelies? Do you keep your house in company-worthy condition at all times? Do you frantically clean only when you know someone will be entering your home? Or do you not care and just let it all hang out for everyone to see?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

My kids have caught on to the fact that I only really clean for guests. If I'm busily putting things away and dusting and scrubbing, they'll ask, "Who's coming over?".

Anonymous said...

I solved it.......I don't have guests. Beth

Anonymous said...

Confine visitors to the one room that we never use!

Anonymous said...

I'm quite vocal that no one is allowed to drop in. I need to schedule visitors so I have time prior to the visit to clean. Oh my goodness; how could anyone possibly keep a house clean and company-ready? The days of Ozzie and Harriet and Leave it to Beaver are long gone (if they ever really existed...)

I think this is why they invented grocery bags--so we'd have a place to put the debris in a hurry...

Lindsey @ Half Dime Homestead said...

I live in a house of constant use - so it's not messy so much as it is housing various projects, books being read, barbie's barbieing around and other whatnot.
I really clean the bathrooms weekly and kitchen daily - because I'm all sorts of sanitary like that. But vacuuming? Pshaw...I got gardening to do!!

Sister’s Sailor said...

How about both?

Rose said...

I am good for really cleaning and putting things away once a week. On all the other days, I either ignore it or dump stuff where it isn't in the way. When people come I usually tidy up the obvious junk and always clean the bathroom. The floor may not be swept, but the toilet will be clean!!

gabe said...

Ha. With two kids about the ages of yours, I don't even need to say. We try to maintain a certain level of not-too-messiness, but that's about the best we can do.

FinnyKnits said...

I'm a psycho and my house is pretty much visitor-ready at all times.

As long as those visitors don't mind the furricane of dog/cat/Finny hairs blowing around the corners, of course.

I've given up on that gross bit.

flask said...

my house is currently in such a state that i am embarrassed to have me see it.