Sunday, May 11, 2014

Chocolate and Potato Chips: A Story for Mother's Day

Have you have ever had a Drumstick ice cream treat? They're essentially ready-made, individually wrapped ice cream cones that you can buy at the grocery store. We always had them in our house when I was in high school. At the bottom tip of each cone was a little nugget of fudgy chocolate. This was my favorite part. And whenever my mother was eating a Drumstick, she would save this bottom tip for me.

Similarly, I have always had a particular liking for the folded-over potato chips, rather than the thin, single-layer ones that are more common in a bag of chips. If my mom was eating potato chips and found one of these doubled-up ones, she would come find me and give it to me.

These are no doubt trivial and silly memories to be sharing on Mother's Day, except for the fact that they actually demonstrate some very important and elemental things about my mother: her selflessness and consideration for other people.

She's an amazingly nice person. And a very, very good mother.

Happy Mother's Day, Mom. Thanks for the chips. (And a few other things.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

She is an amazing person, and an even better mother. I totally agree, and we are blessed to have gotten her. I always try to be as good as she is (but usually fall short :)

-moi

Anonymous said...

Oh, I am glad to know another person out there in the ether also likes those folded-over chips! Chip-mates!

Anonymous said...

I share the same affinity for the bottom of a Drumstick and even more for the "taco" chip, as I call them. Mom are the best!