Friday, May 9, 2014

The Summertime Chicken Soup Substitute

Yes, I know it's not technically summer yet, but as it is currently 78 degrees with significant humidity, it sure as hell feels like summer. And as we all know, summer is a wretched time to have a cold.

Yup, I am indeed sick again. This is my second cold in a month, and I'm having a bit of trouble eating with this one. That's because when I'm sick, I don't want to eat anything crispy, crunchy, or chewy. It must be soft or liquidy. In the winter, that's no problem: big bowls of  soup or mashed potatoes with melted cheese are perfect. But now? No, I do not want a big steaming bowl of soup when it's almost 80 degrees, thank you.

As I was sitting outside in the sun this morning watching the children systematically demolish an old piece of foam with screwdrivers (enrichment! we are all about it!), I was glumly contemplating my invalid food options for lunch. Tortilla with melted cheese? Meh. Yogurt? Double meh. Peanut butter and jelly sandwich? Too chewy.

And then I remembered the vanilla ice cream in the freezer. And THEN and then, when we went inside for lunch I spotted the blender still on the counter from when I made fruit shakes* earlier.

As soon as the children were down for their naps, I blended up the ice cream with a scoop of cocoa powder, a bit of leftover coffee, and some milk.

That's right. That's a mocha milkshake. It was enormous and glorious and I drank every last bit.

I feel better already.

* The rest of the world calls these smoothies, but for some reason I cannot stand that word. So we call them fruit shakes.

6 comments:

tu mere said...

Ummmm. Not much for the coffee, but blended ice cream on a hot day, heavenly. Added benefit, no kids around. Let's sing it folks, "I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream!" Keep up the good work of taking care of both mind and body.

mil said...

I am with 100 percent on your word choice!

mil said...

I meant I am with you 100 percent on your word choice.

Becky said...

I vote for blendies.

Daisy said...

This sounds delicious. I should add it to my Comfort Food list.

FinnyKnits said...

Bless you - I fucking hate the word, "smoothie". It sounds unpleasantly lewd or something.