Tuesday, November 11, 2014

A.P.D.--The Bedtime Edition

Before we begin with today's frivolity, please go here to read the first post I ever did for Veterans Day and take a moment to remember what today is. 

And now, on with the show!

Have you seen this map of average bedtimes by county in the United States? It's fascinating. It is also, I suspect, skewed by the fact that the responses came from people wearing some super-techie activity tracker device that I had never heard of. This is pure conjecture, of course, but I would bet that people who are more into gadgets and technology stay up later.

But let's carry on with this discussion anyway, because I found the results shocking.

In case you don't want to read the whole thing (though you should), the most notable point is that the earliest average bedtime in the United States is 10:31 p.m. That's on Maui. Not that it makes a difference where it is, the point is that this is the earliest average.

Most other places are around 11:30 p.m. or midnight. My own county apparently averages 11:23 p.m.

I know this is not unusual. We don't personally know any adults here--our age or otherwise--who go to bed before 10 p.m. 

Except us.

A. and I are in bed every night by 9 p.m. Okay, maybe sometimes 9:15, but those are our late nights. Many nights, we're in bed before nine. We can't even blame it on the exhausting little humans who suck our energy, either, because we went to bed at nine before we had kids. I usually went to bed around nine when I was in college for God's sake.

According to this map, this makes us very, very weird.

But, as I mentioned, I have my doubts about the true representativeness of these numbers. So let me put it to you, my lovelies, for a totally unscientific but no less interesting survey: What time do you usually go to bed?

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

10:30 or so. Although, we haven't been really successful at daylight savings this year, so we've been going to bed when our daughter does - 9:30. And I don't have to get up until seven most mornings!

-moi

Anonymous said...

Just read the study. It tracked people who elected to track their slew patterns on jawbone. Talk about a young persons techie device! I don't think I even know anyone who owns a Jawbone, and I doubt they are highly prevalent in many counties.

So, cool info, but totally skewed.

-moi again

tu mere said...

From babyhood on you were always a committed sleeper. A very positive trait, as you know, for parents. Thank you.

Lights out here between 9 and 9:30, but we get to read for an hour or so before, not like your schedule!

Now, moi, I have to look up what Jawbone is. I'm so out of the loop I've never even heard of it.

Anonymous said...

Here it's 10 pm for me and 9 pm for Hubby. I must watch things like "Stalker" and "Castle" until 10 pm, shows that are too upsetting for Hubby. But we either read or watch "Letterman" together until 11 pm. The dog goes to bed when I do, in case that's in the survey. Mary in MN
P.S. Why do I have to prove I am not a robot before I post a comment---never was in doubt before!

Anonymous said...

Hug a veteran today; thank them every day.

Melinda said...

I would LOVE To go to bed about 9 but I go at 10 and then read etc until about 11 then off to sleep. Getting plenty of rest is VERY important both physically and mentally, so I say GOOD FOR YOU!

Anonymous said...

It's very rare to find me up past 9:00 and we don't have any kids, either.

Sandy Shoes in NC

Anonymous said...

8:30, read for 30 minutes, up at 4:30. I've got to get my 8 hours, or at least as close to 8 as possible. This is not normal?!

Drew @ How To Cook Like Your Grandmother said...

Go to bed, or fall asleep in front of the TV? Totally different answer.

mil said...

I really hate to post this, but I think I usually do go to bed just about 11:23 -- I put the dogs to bed at 11:00, check the weather, and that takes me upstairs at just about average. Just call me Median MIL.

Daisy said...

I'm in bed between 9 and 10. Dear darling husband stays up a little later; he does alright with less sleep. Not me. I need my rest!

Lindsey @ Half Dime Homestead said...

Midnight! Always!
I'm a night owl and so is my husband. We both work later (11-7 shifts) so our house is geared later to accommodate that. My preschooler is in bed by 8:30 and usually falls asleep by 9:15 or so. She's a night owl, too.
But we totally lucked out because she will sleep 11 hours no matter what time I start the bedtime regimen. It's insane.

flask said...

eight.

sometimes seven.

even in summer.

Pippa said...

1-3 am on a GOOD night. And I don't have kids or anything else to blame it on...it's just how I am. I have always been amazed at people who go to bed really early. I don't think you're weird though.

Ok, maybe a little. 9pm??