Thursday, October 19, 2017

A Child Is Born


Yesterday

2:40 p.m.: Hey, that was a contraction! Could it be actual labor?

3:20 p.m.: Ow, more contractions, closer together and more painful. Better let SuperNana and A. know.

3:40 p.m.: Okay, calling the hospital to let them know I'm on my way.

4:10 p.m.: Apparently, a pregnant woman having a contraction in the middle of the admitting procedure will cause an aide to show up with a wheelchair right quick.

4:15 p.m.: The midwife does an internal check and tells me to let her know when I feel like pushing.

5:50 p.m.: I feel like pushing.

6:05 p.m.:

Ta da! Magic! REALLY, REALLY painful magic.

Yup, exactly 3 hours and 25 minutes start to finish. It's definitely a girl. You can call her Poppy*. She was just a hair over 8 pounds, is 20 inches long, and her hobbies include nursing. A lot.

So now we just nurse and recover. And in my case, revel in not being pregnant anymore. Hooray.

Yesterday was a good day.

* Not her real name. When I first found out I was pregnant, I looked up my due date on one of those baby websites and it informed me that my baby was the size of a poppy seed. We called her Poppy early on, and although at some point that changed to Buttercup while she was in utero, I still think Poppy is a better blog name. 

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah Poppy is here! Can't wait for the stories of her and her brothers!!! Congrats to all!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Happy Birthday, Poppy!

Susan in NC

Sherry said...

Congratulations! A girl! I haven't checked in on your blog in a couple of weeks or more and just this morning I was wondering about you. I'll bet the boys are thrilled!

sheila said...

Congratulations!

Let the games begin. Pink team vs blue team. Pink team is tiny but I bet she has a mighty battle cry. You know when she is yowling for food, more food. I see endless nursing in your future.

Joellen said...

Congratulations on Poppies birth! Wow three hours, when she decided to make her appearance she didn't waste any time in getting here.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely, happy message and beautiful picture. Yay, Poppy. Yay, your family!

Anonymous said...

Welcome Miss Poppy. Very good. That was a quick entrance. Good for you , I am sure the quickness helped on the lateness part. Beth

Anonymous said...

Welcome, Poppy! Get ready for lots of fun! Mary in MN

Cheryl said...

Congratulations.

... said...

Awesome. My niece is named Poppy IRL with same origin story. x

Barbara said...

Happy Baby. Congratulations to all of you. Can't wait to hear how the boys react. I had a sister Lillian. Barbara

Anonymous said...

Kristin-I don't know how many lurkers you have, but I just heard from one here, a friend who wishes you well and is happy to see the new baby. Mary in MN

Anonymous said...

Welcome Poppy!

Zoe said...

Congratulations to you all and welcome to Poppy, glad to hear of her safe and speedy arrival

Phoo-D said...

Hooray! Glad you are both doing well. She’s gorgeous.

Daisy said...

Congratulations! I like Poppy. Buttercup? Well, Buttercup is my pet rabbit. She's a good bunny, but Poppy works better for a little baby girl with awesome hair. :)

Lindsey @ BigBearFarm said...

3 hours of labor and delivery?!? You jerk. Mine was 48 hours of labor and a home birth with a baby that came out like superman and weighed almost 8.5 pounds. Oy vey.

I'm so glad you are both happy and healthy and doing well. You created all these humans and it's no small feat. I hope you get to rest, eat, rest, pee, rest, nurse, rest and rest. And then I hope you get some rest. Treat that amazing body well, it's done you good, so far.

Congratulations!

flask said...

i am, as usual, late to the party, but woohoo!

congratulations!

welcome to the world, little girl.

you're about to have an interesting life.