Monday, December 11, 2017

The Great Cafeteria Lunch Day


Cubby and Charlie have never once eaten lunch at their school cafeteria. Or rather, they eat lunch there every day, but they don't eat the food served there. They always bring their lunches.

The main reason for that is that I cannot justify paying $2.50 for a cafeteria lunch when it takes me ten minutes in the morning to pack their lunches. Not that I always enjoy packing lunches first thing in the morning--I mean really, who does?--but seriously. No way am I forking out five bucks a day so they can eat cafeteria sloppy joes on a regular basis.

Surprisingly, they had never asked before if they even could try the school lunch, so it wasn't an issue. Then, last week, Cubby asked. I started to say no, but I quickly amended that to a yes, if they used their own money.

Lessons in fiscal responsibility, an exciting lunch for them, and a day when I don't have to pack a lunch? Who's the crafty mom now?

There then followed much perusal of the school lunch menu to determine when the best day would be for the purchase. Pizza day? Nacho day? Spaghetti day? They went with today, which is build your own hamburger day, with an alternate option of a chicken patty sandwich.

Cubby is excited about the hamburger. Charlie is excited about the chicken. They always want different things.

I helped them count out the appropriate amount of money this morning. And now I just have to wait until they get home to see if it was everything they'd hoped it would be.

4 comments:

Drew @ How To Cook Like Your Grandmother said...

Because I remember this exact day, I assume you're feeling something like I did. On the one hand, you want them to enjoy their lunch. On the other hand, nothing is quite like your kid saying, "It wasn't nearly as good as yours."

My oldest daughter says I have ruined neon orange mac and cheese for her. The middle daughter, it's takeout egg drop soup.

Anonymous said...

Glad, that's an expensive school lunch. I remember when it was 25 cents per day. Guess how old I am! Mary in MN

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to hear what their comments were.
Linda

Anonymous said...

And the school lunch verdict was...?