Thursday, February 22, 2018

How They Took It


So how did Charlie and Jack react to being left out of the Great Arizona Trip?

With nothing.

That's right. I braced myself for tears and shrieking and got nothing. Not even a, "Why can't I go?"

Never have I been more surprised. And pleased.

I assume the travelers made it to Tucson late last night, though I only know for sure they made it as far as Atlanta, because that's where A. called me from early last night. He briefly mentioned that the exhaust more or less fell off the Subaru completely when they were on the road in Canada and he had to wire it back on and drive very carefully the rest of the way to the airport.

Good thing it happened to him and not me, because I doubt I would have been able to jury-rig anything like that on the side of the road.

I had my own driving anxiety this morning as I drove the three home children to the pediatrician's office to get Jack's suddenly very swollen eyelid checked out*. I had no reason to believe there was anything wrong with the Honda, but I really do not like driving 50 miles with small children and no one at home to call if anything does go wrong.

Not that I could have called anyone anyway, because A.'s cell phone stopped working right before his trip, so he has mine.

Funny how we all drove around without cell phones all the time until only about five years ago, but now it seems like a very daring thing.

Anyway.

We made it to the doctor's office--and the pharmacy--and home again with no trouble. The MiL is coming today to stay the night and provide some distraction, for which I am very grateful. Even if the two younger boys were incredibly good about not going on the trip, it is true that without their older brother and dad around, there's just not a lot of excitement. There's only so much I can do with a baby in arms. Especially a baby who is still up all night.


Maintaining those cheeks is a round-the-clock job, you know.

Only 3.5 more days until A. comes home. Not that I'm counting. Ahem.

* I could see yesterday that there was a sty there, but it was worse this morning and looked infected, so I brought him (and everyone else) in and came home with antibiotic eye drops. So fun to administer to a three-year-old.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am daring to give you advice from my husband who has no kids. Keep the baby awake all day so she will sleep at night. :) She has her days and nights mixed up. He reiterated that he has no experience with kids and he also says good luck and glad it isn't him. I thought you would get a chuckle out of all of that. He also mentioned it works with puppies but it is hard to get a baby to follow you through the woods to keep them awake during the day. :) heeeeeee Dear Lord, I am still chuckle- ing.

Anonymous said...

Oh my, I'm amazed that there was no whining, crying, & begging from your two younger boys!!!
Poppy is such a cutie!
MiL help is a good thing...
Linda

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Anon.: It is true that some babies flip day and night. That is not, unfortunately, the problem with Poppy. And I know this because she isn't really sleeping during the day, either. Boo. It's just the four-month sleep regression (which is so common that that is actually what it's called), and it will end sometime. Hopefully sometime before the bags under my eyes become permanent . . .

Linda: I was amazed too. And so, so relieved.