Thursday, April 19, 2018

All Fun and Games Until Someone Vomits


Yesterday was Poppy's half birthday. I mentioned this to the boys at dinner and said wasn't it too bad I hadn't made a cake to celebrate. Well, a cake for them to celebrate for her, obviously. She's not into cake quite yet.

But wait! With the power of the internet, all is possible!

I got right up from the table and made this chocolate-peanut butter cake in the microwave. The boys were appropriately impressed that I could make a cake that fast. And that the microwave actually cooks things.

Poppy was not quite so impressed. Probably because she was abandoned on the floor while I was making a cake in her honor that she couldn't even eat.


The half-birthday girl and her half-assed cake.

She didn't even get a second-hand benefit from all that cocoa and peanut butter, because of course I didn't eat any of it as it's full of things I'm not eating right now.

Greater love hath no mother than to make cake for her children that she can't even eat.

The boys loved it.


Well, except for Jack, but he never really eats cake. He shared most of his with his brothers.

That photo documents Charlie in a happier time, before he started emptying his stomach of all its contents. Including the cake, which still smelled like peanut butter in the vomit bowl he was using.

Oh, sorry. Were you eating breakfast or something? My bad.

Yes, Charlie was in my room at 1:15 a.m. complaining of a stomach ache, which was shortly followed by the re-appearance of the cake in the vomit bowl I provided to him. He continued to throw up for the following few hours. Somewhere in the middle of it, he remarked wistfully, "That was a delicious cake, though."

Probably better going down than coming up, I bet.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Was it the cake or a virus! Mary in MN

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Virus. He continued to throw up anything he put in his stomach for about 10 hours after the initial episode. Fingers crossed, but I think he's done with that now. On to re-hydrating . . .

Anonymous said...

Well, at least you know that you can make that emergency cake again! Mary in MN

Drew @ Cook Like Your Grandmother said...

I was sick the day of my 11th or 12th birthday. I was determined to eat cake and ice cream anyway.

It came back so fast the ice cream didn't just look and taste the same, it was still cold. That was the oddest sensation.