Sunday, May 20, 2018

The Definition of Family-Friendly


Cubby is receiving his first communion today and so, in celebration, we all went out to breakfast at our local diner. We've been to this diner before, and I'm not a huge fan of their food, but they have a Sunday breakfast buffet that we thought the kids would like. Cubby loves eating at restaurants but very, very rarely gets to do so.

Buffets are good for kids because there's no delay in getting the food and the options are all visually laid out, so the decision-making is fast. Plus, if they don't like what they choose, they can just get something else.

I normally avoid eating out with my children not only because it's expensive and not particularly tasty, but because I always worry about my numerous and, ahem, rambunctious children bothering the other customers. They're usually pretty well behaved, but they are restless and energetic and prone to roaming.

Luckily, that is not a concern at this particular establishment.

When we arrived, A. pointed out the small "Breastfeeding Welcome Here" sign on the door. I didn't need to nurse Poppy while we were there, but it's nice to know where they stand on public nursing.

Our table was near a large table of older people who immediately homed in on Poppy, who was hanging out with me at the table while A. was helping the boys choose their food. I smiled politely back at the smiling elders, and one of the ladies came right over and asked if she could borrow the baby.

I wasn't sure Poppy would be okay with it, but after a moment of brow-furrowing contemplation, she accepted that this lady could be trusted. The woman told me she had had two sons, two grandsons, and two great-grandsons, but no girls in the family. Then she brought Poppy over to introduce her to the other people in her group.

And there Poppy stayed while I cut up French toast for the boys, filled orange juice glasses, and ate my own food. The lady only brought her back to me when her party was leaving. She told me I had made her day.

Likewise, ma'am.

Jack spent his time wandering between the fish tank and the collection of little bobbing toys they had near the cash register. Every single person who encountered him smiled indulgently and talked to him about the fish and the toys.

Everyone ate as much as they wanted, helped themselves to gumballs when they discovered the machine wasn't working properly and didn't require quarters (and the lady at the cash register wouldn't let me pay her for them), and left full and happy. Plus, the bill only came to $31 for all five of us.

Success. Now for church . . .

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Sounds like a great time! Yay, for the lady at the next table! How helpful she was.
You don't mention if the food improved, though.
Hopefully, church was just as smooth...
Linda

Anonymous said...

Perhaps that lady is local and could borrow the baby at other times when you need a break? Mary in MN

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Linda: The food isn't bad, just typical diner food. And my standards are too high. :-)

Mary: She's local, but I don't know her name. Besides, WE won't be local soon. Promise a post about the move is coming . . .

Anonymous said...

I love American diners! That price was great for all of you too, wow. So glad you used 'rambunctious' - it is just a SUPBERB word, isn't it? You always write so well - love the description of Poppy's careful scrutiny of her lady admirer :)