Friday, May 18, 2018

Friday Food: In Which We Just Keep Eating


And so, I keep cooking. Thusly . . .

Friday

Short version: Beef soft tacos, steamed carrots and broccoli

Long version: I had two small neck roasts and one tiiiiny flat-cut brisket left from our half cow. The neck roasts had too many bones in them to do anything but simmer them until I could pull the meat away from the bones. There's no carving a neck roast.

So I just dumped the three pieces of meat in my enameled dutch oven with a piece of onion and some salt, barely covered with water, and simmered until they were tender. Then I pulled them out, drained off the resulting beef broth for future use, and pulled the meat into pieces to fry in tallow with chili powder, cumin, and some green garlic from some of the many garlic bulbs A. planted last fall.

We ate the meat in corn tortillas with sour cream, cheese, lettuce, and salsa. Or rather, everyone else did. I had mine in a salad.

Saturday

Short version: Non-charred lamb ribs, baked potatoes, carrot sticks with ranch dressing, green salad, stewed rhubarb

Long version: A. did not send the grill up in flames this time when he made the last package of lamb ribs. Success! He raved over them, and the boys competed to see who could eat the most. And then their hands were so covered in lamb fat that I had to turn the door knob for them when they went outside to get sticks to roast marshmallows over a fire. No one left the table hungry, at least.

I put the potatoes in the oven while the lamb ribs were doing their initial slow cooking in the oven, along with some rhubarb the MiL had sent up from her plant. We have a rhubarb plant here, but it's very small and has barely started growing. And I do love rhubarb. Thanks, MiL!

I had a salad again, with the remaining leftover taco meat, 'cause Mama don't do lamb ribs.

Sunday

Short version: Celebratory Italian sausage, fried garlic bread, pan-fried sweet potatoes, sauteed mushrooms and onions

Long version: Yes, I cooked my own Mother's Day meal. It's just easier that way. I made the bread by taking out the sausage from its cooking skillet, draining the grease, and using that skillet to fry thick pieces of bread with butter and garlic powder spread on them. I took a very small taste. They were really good. Obviously.

And now! A Mother's Day photo:


When this is the best mommy+kids photo we can manage, you know it's a challenge.

Monday

Short version: Country-style pork ribs, boiled potatoes, cucumbers with ranch dip, fried cabbage and onions

Long version: A. made the ribs on the grill, the way they are meant to be (paprika, garlic powder, salt). Charlie, covered in orange grease and working on his second enormous rib, announced with satisfaction, "Now this is a prime dinner." Indeed.

Tuesday

Short version: Bland meat, bland rice, bland broccoli, roasted sweet potatoes and onion, curried potato soup

Long version: I had two packages of beef stew meat left, which--thanks to sick, fussy baby and sick, fussy toddler and sick 8-year-old home from school--I just dumped in my biggest skillet and simmered with water, onion, and a bay leaf until they were tender. Then I put them on a pan and broiled them in the oven to get crispy with olive oil and garlic powder. They needed to be fried in tallow with a ton of fresh garlic, but I didn't have any tallow, and I was lazy, so they were bland. And dry. Bah.

I made the rice with the remainder of the beef stock from Friday. It needed more salt.

I didn't add anything to the steamed broccoli except salt. Why break my bland streak now, right?

I made the potato soup with some of the roasted onions, diced potatoes, the liquid from cooking the beef, curry powder, and a little sour cream. Cubby ate three mugs full and then retired to the couch to moan some more that his head still hurt, and now his stomach did too.

All of this made way too many dishes, which made it a doubly disappointing meal.

Wednesday

Short version: Cornell chicken, boiled potatoes with green garlic, sauteed mushrooms with green garlic, carrot sticks with ranch dip, The Nourishment

Long version: Cornell chicken is a New York State thing, and one of my favorite chicken dishes. Probably because the marinade is mostly vinegar. I'd never made it at home, but it's dead simple, and I will be making it again. Chicken always takes way longer on a grill than you think it will, so I always plan on it cooking at least 45 minutes longer than I think it should. This time, with whole legs, it took almost two hours.

Luckily, A. had company while he was grilling.


Yes, my daughter's shirt says and has a picture of a truck. Gender-bending clothing is her lot in life.

When A. was a boy, his pediatrician was an Italian immigrant who propounded the miraculous curative properties of garlic. In honor of Dr. Gioia, I treated A.'s cold with green garlic in both the mushrooms and potatoes. Charlie also ate the green part of the garlic plant (I only used the white part) and then ran around exclaiming, "I feel like I'm breathing fire!" I bet.

The Nourishment is a baked custard recipe from The Yellow Farmhouse Cookbook. I've been making it for years, and it's A.'s most-requested food when he's sick. Cubby and Charlie can put away astonishing quantities of it, too. Jack doesn't like it much. Oh well. More for the others.

Thursday

Short version: Pork chops, pan-fried sweet potatoes, fried cabbage and onions, steamed broccoli, cornbread

Long version: I made it; they ate it; the week is over, hooray. (That was the shorter version, actually.)

Okay, your turn! What'd you eat this week?

5 comments:

Tammy said...

That's a great pic!
Happy Mother's Day, and your weekly menu sounds wonderful.

A question, do you use a crock pot, and if not, why? Just wondering. :)

I think I shared this week's menu last Friday (I work a week ahead, lol),
so here's ours for next week:

Pizza sliders, fries
Chicken Alfredo w/broccoli over noodles
Beef Roast in the crock pot, potatoes, corn
Curly noodle *ramen* pork supper (this is Ramen, sliced up pork chops, broccoli, and a homemade Asian dressing/gravy), salad
Chicken Pot pie
Hamburger/veggie Soup, rolls
Sausage Dogs, fries, salad

Ds is such a picky eater, he MIGHT eat some chicken, pork chop, or sausage, with baby carrots and celery, along with pretzels or cheese its. Hey, you do what you can....

Anonymous said...

I agree with Tammy, great Mother's Day picture!

Saturday - Took great nephews to an oddities museum & Gettysburg battlefield & they were also allowed to pick a place for lunch. General Pickets Buffet it was, so a lite dinner for husband & me, veggie burgers.
Sunday - Salmon patties, roasted potatoes, asparagus
Monday - Quiche, asparagus
Tuesday - Meatloaf, salad
Wednesday - Chicken breasts, asparagus, rice pilaf
Thursday - At the senior center where I work, we had a fund raiser, making ham & cheese & turkey & cheese sandwiches to sell. Husband had turkey & cheese & I had ham & cheese & broccoli.
Friday - Leftover sandwiches
Linda

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Tammy: I think Crockpots are a great tool if you're away from the house a lot, but I'm not. Sometimes in the summer when it's brutally hot and I want to cook something without heating up the house, I'll use a Crockpot, but I don't like the texture or taste of Crockpot food as compared to Dutch oven food. So given a choice (and the right weather), I always use the Dutch oven.

tu mere said...

A bit far away but still a picture that shows everyone's alive, if not really healthy. Must be Mom's Day cause you have on a skirt, I think. As I said, far away shot!

The most exciting meal this week was a lunch out with everything sushi and saki just for fun. Lots and lots of raw tuna, salmon, and other fish that was ordered that I just ate and savored. White rice, yum. No chop sticks for me; just a fork. Last time I tried chop sticks I lost half my meal to the floor.

Anonymous said...

I'm late with this because we were traveling
Saturday - pizza
Sunday - eye of round roast, crazy good rice, roasted broccoli
Monday - leftovers from Sunday
Tuesday - beef and bean tacos
Wednesday - on the road - calzone and grilled chicken sandwich
Thursday - also on the road but visiting a nephew and his girlfriend who fed us venison backstrap, wild rice with wild greens and salad from their garden.
Friday - pre-wedding food - low country boil
Saturday - post wedding food - veggies with dips, fruit, cheeses and wood fired oven pizza
Pam