Friday, February 13, 2009

Batten Down the Hatches

Have I ever mentioned that I do not like wind? I'm not talking a gentle breeze to cool down a hot summer day, I'm talking about wind. Loud, constant, hard, and unpleasant. The only people who could possibly appreciate wind are those who have a windmill or a sailboat. I have neither of those things, so I have no use for wind.

Yesterday would have been a fantastic day to have a windmill. The wind blew hard and continuously all day long. It sounds like a train approaching when it hits the house. It was also about 40 degrees and alternately spitting rain or freezing rain all day. It was all very cozy. Except for a brief trip out to the chicken coop in the morning, I spent the day huddled inside, listening to windows rattle and watching the tree branches whip around outside. Then I went to go get the mail.

Going to get the mail means walking down the driveway. Toward the lake. Which is the source of the wind. I felt like I was walking into the eye of the hurricane. And then, when I got to the mailbox, I was so impressed by the whitecaps on the lake that I went back up to the house, got the camera, and actually braved the totally exposed beach to take pictures. For you.


You could hang AT LEAST three on these waves.

Okay, so it's not exactly a surfer's paradise, but I bet you could do some fun boogie boarding on those waves. Assuming you didn't mind dying of hypothermia within 30 seconds, that is.

When I went back up to the house, Leda the Fluffball was waiting for me on the driveway. She looked concerned. She also looked a little windblown.

Leda says the windblown look is HOT this year.

And then I (and Leda) went back into the house, because no one should be outside when the wind is blowing 40 miles an hour. The end.

10 comments:

Aunt Krissy said...

unlike you, I love the wind!
I like it when you have to lean into it cause it's so strong. I like it cause it keeps bugs away.
I like to open all the doors and windows on a windy day and really clear out the house of the stale smell. I like the sound of the wind in the trees and wires.
And yes, I did live on a sailboat!

Susan said...

Leda looks lovely! I actually love the wind, too. Good thing since I went to Oklahoma, (where the wind comes sweeping down the plain; sing along will ya?)

Drew @ Cook Like Your Grandmother said...

Well, my walk down to Lake Erie is about as long as your driveway (slight exaggeration, my walk's a little longer). And when we get wind we don't just get breakers, we get whitecaps. It's so bad that the ice on the south shore -- which is where we are -- builds up to about 10-15 feet by the end of the winter.

Maybe I'll take a walk down to the beach and see how much ice is left. I see that the rain has just turned to snow again. I hate walking in snow less than I hate walking in rain.

Anonymous said...

I went for a walk yesterday earlier in the day and it wasn't so bad. I went for another walk later on, and it was so windy that I canceled my third walk. By the time I left work, the temperature had fallen quite a bit and the wind was shaking my car.

Is it spring yet?

Phoo-D said...

I grew up loving the wind, but now that I'm in tornado country I hate it. When it gets very windy I can't sleep and have nightmares about tornados. Not that I've even ever seen a tornado- but I hear they're scary. =)

krysta said...

i don't mind the wind but the youngest sous chef hates it! like won't walk out in it, won't go to sleep, is a nervous wreck until the wind stops. she sympathizes with you.

isn't the wind blown look always hot?

jean said...

I am so glad you posted this. I have such a tension headache today and it's due to the wind. I hate it. We had sustained 30mph winds with gusts of 50mph. It's a little bit calmer today. I'm so afraid that a tree will hit the house or my car.

Chiot's Run said...

It was a little scary here. We are surrounded by really big trees and I'm always worried one will fall on the house during these kinds of wind storms.

Anonymous said...

Leda looks HAWT! My dog has really short hair so he can never look windblown.

BTW it's snowing like a sumbitch here, so you have that to look forward to.

Anonymous said...

The wind must be blowing west, because we had it today. Oklahoma is a very windy place. I remember in college one time we had a "small child warning" it was so windy. I thought this was crazy until I went outside and discovered I could stand at a 45 degree angle against the wind.