Saturday, April 4, 2009

Flotsam and Jetsam

I guess I should finish up the stories from our trip in Arizona. Or post more photos. Or tell you all about our fleet of junker cars that are getting louder and crappier by the day. But . . . I don't want to.

So instead, here's a random list:

1) Does the title of this post remind anyone else of those disgusting eel sidekicks of the evil sea witch in "The Little Mermaid"? No? Just me? Alrighty then.

2) I used to know all the words to all the songs in "The Little Mermaid." AND, I even had a book of piano music for them.

3) You didn't know I used to take piano lessons? Yup, for about a year when I was nine. My teacher's house always smelled like bread, because my lesson day was her bread-baking day. But I never got to eat any of the bread. Boo.

4) I remember nothing of my piano skills now, except for a supremely irritating little ditty called "The Little Indian Song" that I was fond of pounding out at the piano over and over and OVER. The piano was four feet from my sister's bedroom door. I'm not sure she's forgiven me for this yet. But I can still play that song from memory. Practice DOES make permanent.

5) Also on the list of childhood activities I participated in: t-ball, soccer, baseball, Brownies, ballet, tap, hula dancing, and sign language classes. And what do I do now? Nothing. I think I burned out early.

6) I cleaned the computer desk yesterday, which involved sorting many, many papers and discarding an improbable number of pens. What is WITH pens? Why do I have so damned many? Where do they come from? And where do all the caps go?

7) Now I have that virtuous, peaceful feeling that comes from cleaning up a disgusting area of the house. Except A. left an empty beer bottle on the desk last night. And now I'm sitting here looking at it. It is marring the perfection of my clean desk and mocking me.

8) Luckily, A. is making crepes this morning, so I can forgive him.

And on that note, I'm off to eat crepes. Have a nice day!

3 comments:

Lanny said...

Have you ever noticed in magazines where they will have a half drunk glass of something and a bit into cookie sitting on the stunning well furnished coffee table, on the beautiful hairless couch there is a randomly tossed afgan and an open book as if someone just got called away from their afternoon respite to answer the door? That is same as your A's beer bottle, it takes the sterile edge off and gives the room a gentle, acceptable lived in look. (I'm the queen of justification just in case you need any in the future)

I enjoyed your random list, aside from the whole mermaid thing a lot was familiar.

rls said...

Ugh. I'm sitting here looking at my own disgusting computer desk. Thanks a lot for the guilt trip, K!

Daisy said...

Oh, the virtuous feeling! It'll be a while before I get to the computer desk. I really intend to spend time getting the garden ready, even though I can't plant until late May.