Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Woodchuck Gardening

Time for another garden update! Wheee! You know you're excited.

When we last left our seeds, they were newly-planted and still a mystery. Would they germinate? Would they sulk in the soil like angry teenagers refusing to come out of their rooms? Or would they bravely poke out of the soil and start growing, only to be cut down in their prime by a stupid cutworm, IN THE BATHROOM?

All three, as it happens. Most germinated; some, like that bastard hot pepper mix, never came up at all; and more than one seedling was snipped off by a cutworm, despite the fact that the seedlings were still inside. Totally bizarre and frustrating. So I decided the only way to save them was to re-plant them in different pots and different soil. I needed to do it anyway, because the ones that survived that asshole cutworm were getting too big for their little toilet paper roll pots.

Now. I have heard tell of people who go to Home Depot or wherever and stock up on all the supplies they might need for gardening: pots, soil, plant markers, etc. I know these people exist, but I am not one of them. Here's how a woodchuck plays it.

Leftover potting soil from when the MiL planted flowers for the wedding? Check. Old pots in odd sizes retreived from the chaos of the barn, plus some saved sour cream and yogurt containers with holes poked in the bottom? Check. Plant markers made from cut-up cottage cheese containers and a permanent marker? Check. Thirty-year-old trowel? Check.

And there you have it. I didn't actually have to buy anything to pot these things up. And despite the admittedly trashy supplies I used, I still think they look awfully pretty after their transplanting.


But then, a mother always thinks her babies are beautiful.
I am fond of standing there gawking at these tiny little plants in their small pots and imagining the pounds and pounds of tomatoes and eggplants that will eventually come from them. I have a lot of spare time on my hands, obviously.
So, let's just all keep our fingers crossed that nothing else mounts an attack against my defenseless seedlings and they all manage to make it into the ground. It's the uncertainty that makes gardening exciting, right? Right.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You ARE me !!!!!! and I am you...I read the woodchuck post..and laughed out loud and called the hubby over to read it too. He also chuckled...he doesn't do that too often... 'cept when I make him chuckle.

rls said...

Here I am, back after a long weekend's vacation in NYC, no less, which is located in the very same state as Kristin and the other cast of characters at Blackrock, eagerly awaiting a chance to comment on today's subject... and it's gardening. I got nothin'. Not a gardener.

But I did grow up on a farm, so I will say this: A CUTWORM in your BATHROOM? What the heck?

Sara said...

Your caption made me laugh! It's true. But your babies are beautiful! Just remember that if they grow too much for you, please share the wealth. (I wish I had a garden.)

Sweet Bird said...

It's the uncertainty of gardening that gives me heartburn.

FinnyKnits said...

I, too, had an unproductive run in with a pepper mix. I believe was called, Carnival, and I believe it was supposed to produce bell peppers of varying color. Which would have been great had they ever germinated. Not one. LOSERS.

Nice job on your reusing of misc parts - I love it. I find gardens that look like the Land of Misfit Toys to be the best.

jean said...

This is my first year with a garden and so far, nothing is working as I planned. I started everything from seeds and they just aren't growing. In humans it would be called failure to thrive. At this point it's going to be an expensive experiment. Oh well, live and learn.

sheila said...

It's a beautiful woodchuck garden you got going there. I'm just waiting for August and your posts cussing out the tomatoes that won't stop!

Daisy said...

Works for me! I enjoy watching the seeds grow into seedlings and then plants and then (fanfare) food!