Thursday, October 22, 2009

All About My Dinner. Again.

I know, right? What's with the talking about last night's dinner? Couldn't I come up with anything better than that? Howsabout a dog photo or a fun story about jabbing a needle into my finger while mending some jeans? (I did do that yesterday--I HATE SEWING.) Anything other than another story about my dinner.

Sorry. I have to do this. Because, you see, I did it again.

I swear on my mother's big toe that I did not set out to once again decorate my plate in a pleasing palette of pinks and reds. It was completely inadvertent, and, as such, infinitely more amusing.

Here's what happened.

I got home from working at the library at 5:45 p.m. I was starving, of course. A. was on his way to court, the MiL was at a meeting, and I had to feed myself. Sitting on the counter were four potatoes A. and I found when we dug up one of the former potato beds while planting garlic a couple of days ago. I started peeling and chopping the potatoes, in preparation for making mashed potatoes. Three of the four potatoes were Adirondack Reds, which meant pink mashed potatoes. I do love pink mashed potatoes. I was just going to mix some cheese in with the potatoes and call it dinner (the joys of cooking for only myself . . .), but then I saw the ground lamb in the refrigerator. And the leftover quart jar of tomatoes with about a quarter left. And the leftover beets.

So I ended up making lamb patties with a tomato sauce and heating up the beets to eat with my pink potatoes. A purple French shallot went into the tomato sauce, and I used zataar (a Middle Eastern spice mixture of sumac berries, thyme, and sesame seeds) to season both the meat and the sauce. Zataar is bright red from the sumac berries.

Halfway through the cooking process, I realized what I had done again. And this time, I took a photo.

Yeah. You won't be seeing THIS in "Gourmet" anytime soon*.

I'm finding the thought of having so many pink, red, and purple foods about to be a little disturbing. However, I was eating within 30 minutes of walking through the door, so no complaints from me.

* Oh wait. You won't be seeing ANYTHING in "Gourmet," because those assholes at Conde Nast SHUT IT DOWN. BOOOOO.

8 comments:

Susan said...

Your body must be needing whatever is in red foods. It's like when you come home from the grocery store and have nothing but cheese products. But red.

So I've heard.

Drew @ Cook Like Your Grandmother said...

I read a book once called "The Book of Dirty Tricks". Everything from April Fools pranks to how to mess with a landlord who's evicting you.*

There was a section for when you live in Florida, and people keep coming to visit and won't leave. One of the suggestions was to serve monochromatic meals. Every night. And if that wasn't working, go with the all-white dinner: Cauliflower steamed until it's goo; instant mashed potatoes made with no milk, butter or salt; and whitefish cooked for way too long on one side, and not at all on the other. If you can pull off "burned" on the bottom while there's still ice on the top, score.



* Remove the cover plates from several electrical outlets. Stick a funnel into the hole in the bottom of the box that the wires come into. Dump a cup of sugar down into the wall. Within a couple of weeks, you'll have an infestation of roaches that can't be fixed without tearing the wall open. (Do not try this for real. Offered for entertainment purposes only.)

Phoo-D said...

I think maybe the inner girl in you is bracing herself for the onslaught of army green and fire engine red that is ahead!

And about Gourmet- BOOO is right. I'm so depressed.

Anonymous said...

I was thinking along the lines of Phoo-D. You are feeling girly. NO womanly. I have a giant guess you were never girly.

me again said...

How about an all-orange meal in honour of hallowe'en? That, I'd like to see.
==lennie==

FinnyKnits said...

I like this color-coded eating system you have.

Just remember not to be afraid, um, later. When *other* things are pink and/or red...

Friggen beets scare me every time.

rls said...

Drew Kime and his book suggestion rock!

Pat said...

I can't say that I'm attracted to pink potatoes. Nope. Nothing there. Sorry.