Thursday, December 10, 2009

Satan's Wire

I have this thing with chicken wire. The thing being that I absolutely hate it, and yet cannot avoid it.

I think this is true for anyone who has to work with chicken wire. It's just so . . . poky. For those of you who have not had the pleasure of handling this marvelous stuff, chicken wire is cheap, flexible, lightweight wire fencing. The holes in it are only about an inch in diameter, which means it can keep out everything larger than a mouse. I suspect this is what gave chicken wire its name, since it will keep out anything large enough to prey on a chicken.

However, in light of its wretched and malevolent characteristics, I propose finding another appropriate name for this wire. My current favorite at the moment is Satan's wire. Catchy, no?

You might surmise, based on this little rant, that I had a run-in with chicken wire yesterday. You would be correct. A. put some of the sheep in the paddock near the house, so I had to cover over the livestock gate in the paddock so Rita couldn't climb through the slats to chase the sheep around and eat their mineral. She sometimes loves the sheep a little too much.

This project required dealing with a ten-foot piece of chicken wire. Among the many irritating things about chicken wire: it curls in on itself given the slightest opportunity; it snags on anything you might be passing as you carry it (branches, fences, blades of grass); and it scratches viciously.

It's the last one that really irritates me. See, chicken wire (or Satan's wire, as I believe I will actually begin to refer to it) is cut to fit whatever it's being used for. That means that every one of those little holes, all the way down the strip of fencing, has to be snipped. And that results in multiple sharp bits of wire sticking out from the edges of the fencing. These sharp bits are what scratch the shit out of my hands every time I have to deal with Satan's wire*. Yesterday's little project resulted in eight (yes, I counted) little bleeding scratches on both hands, which felt just DUCKY when I got vinegar on my hands while making dinner last night.

Those sharp bits are also what catch on my clothing every time I go in and out of gates with the wire on them, which is almost all of them. Because as evil as this fencing material is, it is also virtually indispensable if you have animals.

You might call it a necessary evil. I'm just going to call it Satan's wire, myself.

* Allow me to forestall all comments along the lines of, "Just wear gloves, you moron." No. I can't do this kind of work with gloves on. Any gloves thick enough to withstand poking by wire are clumsy and awkward and I can't twist wire or do anything else requiring any kind of dexterity when I'm wearing them. So there.

10 comments:

Julie said...

I think I was 13 the first time my father expected me to help build a fence with chicken wire - old enough to realize it should be one of my life missions to avoid the wretched stuff at all costs.
But for all that it's miserable to work with, you have to admit... it IS pretty handy stuff on many occasions.

Glad you survived, hope none of the cuts are too deep!

Anonymous said...

Amen

Drew @ Cook Like Your Grandmother said...

Oh, like that's going to forestall anything. I think the problem is you don't have the right gloves. I always got cheap ones, until I had to clear the backyard of the new house. Thorny vines ... I've never seen vines with thorns before.

So I got some decent leather gloves and presto ... no more blood. You're not cheaping out on your gloves, are you?



Oh, and is "eat their mineral" a euphemism for something? That next line makes me curious just what you're saying.


Word verification: misct -- the odoriferous fog coming off the compost pile in the morning.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Drew: Twisting bits of wire requires absolute flexibility of your fingers. Any gloves, leather included, make your hands too clumsy to do this kind of thing. I'm assuming you've never had to fence anything and fiddle around with tie wire or you would understand this.

Drew @ Cook Like Your Grandmother said...

Nope. At most once a year, fencing off the garden. So I was worried about, at most, rabbits and the occasional possum. I'm sure when you're dealing with livestock and enthusiastic collies you have to secure things much better than I did.

Anonymous said...

Drew: I thought the same thing about "eat their mineral," so I Googled it. Nope, not poop. Just minerals for sheep to eat. Whew.

I shall always call chicken wire "Satan's wire" from now on. But this begs the question: can it also keep out Satan? I mean, I'm ASSUMING he's bigger than a mouse, but what if he happens to be really small? I've never actually SEEN him...

Lisa S. said...

Yep and because it is galvanized, every little cut will get kind of infected. Human skin hates chicken wire.
I also believe that it will jump out a couple inches - just to cut human skin. Satan's wire is right.

FinnyKnits said...

SoSOso evil those pointy ends are. Grrr.

All of my tomato cages, bean supports, plant cover structures, yard contraptions, etc are made from either small gauge chicken wire or a larger gauge fencing and that shit just smarts.

I've taken to folding back the pointy ends on themselves to limit the scratching, but it persists.

I do wear gloves, but then, I wear gloves for everything, even when it means that the end result suffers.

I'm a very big wimp.

Conny said...

Thanks for all the tips on handling Satan's wire. I'd totally forgotten how evil the stuff can be. I'll keep this in mind next Spring when I'm constructing the chicken coop.

Anonymous said...

If chicken wire is Satan's wire, what shall we name barbed wire?