Thursday, April 8, 2010

Sprouting

Things are growing! Like, seeds I purposely planted! WHEEE!!

It's gardening time again. Cue the crazy.

The lettuce and radishes that were planted about a week ago have peeked above ground and started growing, the radishes somewhat faster than the lettuce. But then, in my experience, radishes are generally faster than anything else in the garden. Fast and loose, those radishes. Dirty.

ANYWAY.

There is also a tiny volunteer lettuce I spied with my little eye the other day. It's not the one I had the cold frame over. That one was eaten by slugs before I could get a protective layer of salt around it. Bastard slugs. Let the war begin.

Also growing on a volunteer basis is a totally random onion. I had started some onions from seed last spring that didn't do very well. Mostly because I killed the majority of them with my cold-frame stupidity. And then the ones I did manage to actually get in the garden never did much. I don't think we ever actually even ate any, as a matter of fact. But one appears to have somehow over-wintered and is now a pretty big plant. I have no idea how this happened. This is why I like to call it The Garden of Mystery*.

Also growing, but in the bathroom instead of the garden, are some seeds I started inside. I finally got several varieties of tomatoes started this past weekend, so it's too soon for them. But the eggplants I started a couple of weeks ago are showing signs of life. Except the only life being shown is the three seeds in one little pot. Why all those seeds came up and none of the others have so far I really couldn't tell you. But at least we'll have three eggplant plants this year. Assuming I don't manage to kill them all some way between now and when they actually start producing eggplants.

I make no promises.

* I don't actually call it that. That would be weird.

9 comments:

Drew @ Cook Like Your Grandmother said...

Suggestion for your cold frame: Add an automatic foundation vent. They have a heat-sensitive coil in them, like your thermostat. The open and close based on the temperature -- fully open at 72 degrees, fully closed at 38.


Word verification: fansesse -- the daughter of the president of your fan club

sheila said...

Ducks I say, ducks! Slug patrol on cute overload. Make those Khaki Campbells you will have tons of eggs. A few Pekins and in 8 weeks you could have some fine eating ducks. Only problem would be to get the dogs to leave the ducks alone.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Sheila: No offense, but I kind of hate ducks. We had some, along with a goose to protect the ducks, because otherwise they last about a day before predators get them. They shit everywhere and the goose made a horrible rusty-hinge honk ALL THE TIME. Then a visiting dog chased them away and we never saw them again.

I'd rather use the salt, anyway.

Phoo-D said...

Isn't it great to see things growing again?! I started eggplant seeds this year and found that they wouldn't sprout until the temps were a consistent 70+ degrees. I wonder if the three were in a warm spot?

Alicia said...

in the meantime, Alicia's herbs she planted in January (yes, January...Texas planting season) are hanging on like Tiny Tim.

I'll stop bitching now. :)

Anonymous said...

Gardening season is in full swing...yeehaa ! I know this is old....but, I cannot wait for the good homegrown 'maters. What varieties are you going to grow this year? Beth

word verification 'dewspho'

enemy of said dew......the wind

FinnyKnits said...

Nice! The crazy is coming!

Because it's been gone for so long?

Anyway, congrats - I love the start of gardening season. Until the slugs show up...jerks.

Alicia said...

oh, by the way, we just found out the in-laws house in Rome NY has a chance of snow tonight! HAHAHAHAHA! Sucks to be a New Yorker!!!

Daisy said...

Gardens are full of mystery. My parsley is coming back: I didn't know parsley could be a perennial. Maybe it's not, and it just reseeded itself last fall. But my asparagus, the spiky plants that need at least another year to mature? Not a sign. Sigh.