Friday, July 15, 2011

Home Again, Home Again, Jiggety Jig

No need to ask the obvious question: I know you all missed me. We can just move on to the trivial details of my life that are the reason you show up here.

First, a big round of applause for that miraculous child of mine. I would have bet money that a 12-hour day in the car would be impossible with a toddler. Impossible without a whole lot of shrieking and unpleasantness, that is. But that kid, man. Except for a few minutes of protest here and there, he just resigned himself to the misery. Of course, the misery was substantially reduced by the fact that one of us sat in the back with him the whole way and read books, plied him with food, sang many rounds of "Little Bunny Foo Foo" (it's a big hit with the under-two crowd), and generally did everything we could to keep him entertained and fed.

Despite the rockin' good times in the Subaru, however, we were all extremely glad to get home. We rolled up the driveway at 8 p.m. yesterday. Cubby's face straight lit up at the sight of the dogs, and he practically lunged out of my arms to his grandma when he saw her, so that was nice. Then I put him to bed, with much praise for his fortitude and good nature. He was asleep before he hit his crib mattress.

Then, A. and I ate the delicious dinner the MiL had prepared before we collapsed into our own bed. The bed on which there were clean sheets, because the MiL had washed them and put them back on for us while we were gone. I highly recommend having the MiL on hand to welcome you home from a long trip.

Before we got into bed, though, I of course went out to inspect the garden. There hasn't been a drop of rain while we were gone, so the MiL was kept busy hauling water for the poor plants (and the animals, who are all very much alive, by the way--good job, MiL). Despite that, everything grew like crazy in the last week. Some of the cabbages are ready; the green beans are producing abundantly; I can start eating beets anytime now (yay! love beets); and the chard has recovered from the severe pruning I gave it before we left.

The weeds, of course, have also been growing nicely. I will address them as soon as I unload the car, make laundry mucous and wash our many filthy clothes, put everything away, make some yogurt, and generally re-establish myself at Blackrock.

It's good to be home.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome home. That Cubby, what a great little kid!

Anonymous said...

Good job, MiL! Mary in MN

Sherry said...

Welcome back. Now we can all have our morning fix of Kristin and Blackrock!!! Cubby, you are the greatest!!!

Joellen said...

Glad you had a good and safe trip. Sometimes traveling with a small child is not as hard as one thinks. Cheers to the M-i-l for the supper and clean sheets.

I am glad you are back. I read your blog every morning first thing. It cheers me.

Anonymous said...

Glad you are home safe and sound.
Hope you are refreshed though tired.
Traveling tired is different than work tired, yes?
Kudos to Cubby's gramma. I bet all the thanks she needed was his launch into her arms...how loved she must feel.
Beth

word verification - redsms

communist sayings

Lana from Farm Life Lessons said...

It's funny how one week can make such a huge difference in our gardens, etc. I feel like our veggie garden has goodies constantly coming out that make it feel like Christmas is constantly arriving! Whoa...that jalapeno plant has several green jewels ready for picking!

Anonymous said...

Glad you're back, safely. I've missed your morning posts

Susan in NC

sheila said...

Glad you are home! You are so lucky to have Cubby with his great disposition, but the real question is..... can you clone MIL? I want one too. Honestly, I don't think you know how lucky you are. I got the MIL the jokes are all based on. I haven't met a person that knew my MIL in her day that didn't say to me, "That woman was a real prize!" Believe me, they weren't saying this as a compliment either. Count your blessings, happy Cubby, A that will read and sing to his son, and a wonderful MIL, dogs that love their Cubby, and Blackrock to come home to. Life doesn't get much better.

Have a great weekend!

Drew @ Willpower Is For Fat People said...

Be it ever so humble ...

Daisy said...

Homecomings are always bittersweet. Darn those weeds! They just couldn't wait.

Anonymous said...

Don't wish too hard for rain. We just got 5 inches in 24 hours--and it's still raining. Mary in MN

Domestic Dilettante said...

Welcome back.

I have been meaning to tell you about the abundant wildlife in our new place. Every day we see something. Lots of rabbits and deer and, of course, squirrels, but also a family of raccoons and a wild turkey. Whenever I see an animal it always reminds me of Blackrock, even though we have nothing domesticated. Yet. Mr. Mom wants hogs. Maybe goats. I don't know. I just know we have a huge pasture and the grass is taking over and we have neither animals to eat it or a tractor to brush hog it.

Oh. And we have plenty of weeds, even without the garden.