Sunday, July 24, 2011

Relief

This may be the first time in days that I have not been sweating. Literally. I've been sweating all day as I chase Cubby around and stand in the full sun with him in the lake and water the parched garden and the parched animals. Then I'd take a shower before bed, only to sweat all night when I would try (and mostly fail) to sleep in our over-90-degrees-at-all-times bedroom. All the time flushed and damp and dealing with a constant state of low-level misery.

And now it's raining.

There's really nothing like rain after a stretch of punishingly hot weather. I'm not going to say that there have not been many times in the past week or so when I have wished fervently that we have air conditioning. That would be a big, fat lie. But there's no doubt that not having it makes us so much more appreciative of something other people see as a minor annoyance or a slight variation in a climate-controlled life.

Thanks for the rain, Mama N. We all needed it.

9 comments:

Sherry said...

I woke in the middle of the night with "something" beating against my window. . . RAIN! I haven't heard that sound in awhile. I don't know how you manage without air conditioning. I live in fear of losing it due to electrical failure in this extreme heat.

Anonymous said...

We have AC and I would not part with it. We use it only in extreme heat and even then with moderation but it is a blessing.
Send some of that rain our way will you. The ground is turning in to cement over here.

Haley said...

I feel your pain. It's been incredibly hot in Boston and nobody I know has air conditioning here. I have a fan in my room but it's not enough, and the kitchen in our apartment is stifling. It's supposed to rain today, so hopefully that will help a bit.

Anonymous said...

Spent many years in NYC and in Albuquerque without AC. It's miserable, I know. Mary in MN

Daisy said...

My garden is so happy! Rain last night, sun today. The tomatoes are climbing to the sky. Thanks, Mother Nature.

jean said...

We had rain here but it evaporated as soon as it hit the ground. It didn't last long. Maybe tomorrow we'll get it.

Lana from Farm Life Lessons said...

It's been so hot that our air-conditioning units here in the Southern part of Texas are strained, so we have to volunteer to keep it on the hot side during the day. Augh! I don't know how you are getting ANY sleep. We've been thru time-frames of no air in over 90 degree temperatures, the only way to get thru was to take constant cool showers and keep our hair wet. Using a spray bottle in between to mist yourself is also helpful. Otherwise, it's just misery. Hang in there!

Haley said...

P.S. How have your animals been taking the heat? My cat's been spreading herself laid out as flat as she can on the floor a lot, so I think maybe she's feeling a little hot.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

The animals are fine. The chickens and sheep hang out in the shade, the dogs and cats hide out in the cellar, and they all consume gallons of water that we must carry in the heat. They have it easy.