Thursday, December 29, 2011

Nothing To Do with Our Trip

Mostly because I have yet to get the photos off the camera and what good are stories without pictures?  No good.  That's right.

So instead, let me tell you about my birthday cake.  Unfortunately, I don't have a picture of that either.  Which is really too bad, since it was really impressive.  After much cogitation, I decided on a German chocolate cake. The MiL had never made one, so she did a search online and came up with the most complicated recipe for German chocolate cake ever devised.  Specifically, this one.  She sent me the link to see the recipe, and I told her it looked like an enormous pain in the ass, but if she wanted to do it, have at it.

So she did.  With some small alterations by me.  Specifically, no pecans, because I don't like crunchy in my cake, and no rum, because I HATE liquor in baked goods.

High maintenance, that's me.

The MiL made the cake for me yesterday, and it took her about half the day.  The end result, however, was pretty amazing.  Also enormous.  Luckily, we attended an impromptu gathering last night to which I brought a big chunk of the cake to share so other people could exclaim over the MiL's baking skills.  They did.

And on an unrelated note, it was 43 degrees in our bedroom last night when we went to bed.  Hello, winter!  On the upside, that means I don't have to worry about the half a cow in the back of my car at the moment (cut up in boxes, obviously, not just an actual half of a cow).  I haven't organized the freezers yet to accommodate the new meat, but it's quite obvious I don't have to worry about it thawing in the car anytime soon.

Cake and meat.  That's all for now.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not too keen on the "crunch" in the cake either..but the rum...that's a whole other story.

Glenda in CO said...

Cake and meat, you are pretty much covering the basic needs there. My mom makes German Chocolate Cake for my Dad's birthday and for the county fair, this version looks extremely decadent.....

Sherry said...

Oh, no, you MUST have pecans in German Chocolate Cake!!! I love German Chocolate Cake, but it IS a lot of work.