Monday, October 29, 2012

I Am the Mother of Boys

I had the unusual opportunity to talk to my brother the other day.  Unusual because both of us have three-month-old babies plus toddlers.  He has two girls.  I heard them both in the background when I called him and asked if he was busy.  No, he said.  We're having a tea party, he said.  And what are you doing, he asked.

We had just been fishing at the dock and Cubby was out on the patio with A. gutting the fish.

Tea parties and fish guts.  No need to guess who has the girls and who has the boys.

Yesterday in the car, the drive home from the Small City was enlivened by a continuing soundtrack of growling, roaring, and "pshew pshew" shooting sounds from the back seat as Cubby menaced his younger brother from afar.  I covered my face with my hands at the auditory evidence of excess testosterone in the back seat.  A. looked at me, shrugged, and said, "You're the mother of boys."

And how.

3 comments:

Phoo-D said...

Just wait until the girls hit age 12. I'll bet you'll be thrilled to have boys at that point!

Anonymous said...

It's better that A. is the dad of boys..girls are sometimes squeamish. He wouldn't be having all the fun he is with Cubby and passing down his dad stuff to them.
You also get a breather when he takes them for boy time.

Joan @ Debt of Gratitude said...

"I am the mother of sons" is one of my favorite books of all time.

http://www.amazon.com/I-Am-Mother-Sons-Poems/dp/0671524356/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1351521051&sr=8-1&keywords=i+am+the+mother+of+sons

I discovered it when Parker was Cubby's age and I couldn't quite get my mind around the differences between him and Kate. Treat yourself and order a copy!