Monday, December 31, 2012

Making Christmas Memories

Memories of the Small Children Christmases, that is.  Which are not, unfortunately, always sugar plums and shining faces.  Take this past Christmas, for example.

My brother-in-law made the very large and nice midday meal on Christmas morning.  Charlie fell asleep right before we ate.  It was almost Cubby's naptime too, so I figured he could eat, then I could put him down and the adults would have a few minutes to enjoy our food (and wine) without the company of little hellions.

HAHAHA.  It's just so amusing when I'm so foolishly optimistic, isn't it?

Cubby ate about five bites, then climbed down off his chair and lay down right on the floor.  Okay.  Hint taken.  To bed with you.

I got him upstairs and into bed, then sat down on the edge of the bed to tell him his story.

And the bed broke.

Well, actually, the mattress sort of slid through the frame, which was loose or something.  I couldn't lift it back up by myself, so I called A. up to help me.  He discovered the screws on the frame needed tightening, and asked me to find an allen wrench.  My brother-in-law left the table to find an allen wrench and help A. fix the bed.

So, at this point, my sister was sitting alone at the table with our Christmas feast.  Great.

I decided my help was not required upstairs and went back to my food.  And wine.  Especially the wine.

About two minutes later, I realized it was suspiciously quiet on the Cubby front.  But I thought maybe he was just absorbed in watching the handymen fix the bed.

HAHAHA.  There I go being foolishly optimistic again.

I went upstairs just as my brother-in-law was removing Cubby from Charlie's room.  Cubby had opened the closed door--I had not been aware he could turn the knobs, clever boy--pulled a rolling office chair over to the Pack 'n' Play, and climbed right in with Charlie.

I'm pretty sure he was not planning on snuggling up with him for an adorable double nap.  In fact, if I had to guess, I would bet on some injury occurring to the unsuspecting and defenseless infant.  Who was, of course, now fully awake thanks to the toddler.

So I put Cubby down for his nap in his fixed bed and brought a very tired and bewildered baby downstairs with me so we could all finish our now-cold meal.

And the wine. We finished the wine, too. Which should surprise no one.

Merry Christmas, kids.  Next year, just get Mommy a whole case of wine, okay?  Thanks.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor Cubby.couldn't even have a Christmas snuggle with Charlie. :)

Unknown said...

Happy new year to you and your family

sheila said...

It's always best to let sleeping dogs (and kids) lie. Next time just throw a blanket over Cubby and continue eating. You would have had a nice meal while both kids slept. You can thank me later for my unsolicited advice.