Thursday, March 28, 2013

Five Years Gone

Five years ago today, I started "Going Country." Five years. That's . . . a long time.

I had a lot of things I wanted to say about this. Things like how my perspective has changed in those five years, from that of an outsider viewing the rural life to that of . . . well, a liver of the rural life. A proponent, even.

Things like how I've changed beyond all recognition. My own recognition, that is. I've become a gardener in those five years. Also a meat processor, a canner, a firewood stacker, an assistant shepherd, a maker of laundry detergent and hand soap, and too many other things to mention.

Most importantly, of course, I've become a mother. Twice.

My life is nothing like I could ever have envisioned it, even in any of my most startling flights of imagination (which can be very startling, frankly). It's so much more. And it's all here, on this site.

Thanks for coming along for the ride. Let's carry on, shall we?

9 comments:

Joellen said...

Congratulatons on five years! I started reading just before Cubby was born. I cannot remember how I found your blog, but I have been hooked ever since. I hope you keep it up for years to come.

Lindsey at NW Backyard Veggies said...

Like a good wine, baby - we just get better and better with age.

Until we eventually pass out from not sleeping b/c our beautiful children keep us up all night.

Yay 5 years! Onto another 5 more!

(You forgot to mention maple sugar boiler to your resume...)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on 5 years of blogging!

I've been reading you since before you got pregnant with Cubby and I have enjoyed reading about your lifestyle (which is sooo different from my suburban one) and also "watching" Cubby and now, Charlie grow up.

You're like my very own real time Laura Ingalls! :-)

Sherry said...

Congratulations! I very much enjoy your blog. I often shake my head wondering how you accomplish all the things you do.

Anonymous said...

Well, I've been around here a while. Except for the kids I have been through already what you are going through in learning and living this country life. Hope I have imparted some wisdom that has helped. Hope to help out in the future .
Good luck in your future on all your travels through life. Beth

mil said...

I did some looking back, and it's now clear to me that Penny will be seven years old this August. Good ol' Penny.

Unknown said...

Please do carry on. I relive my youth through you everyday.

Joan @ Debt of Gratitude said...

I'm not sure, but I think I've been reading you since almost the very beginning. Isn't that weird -- never met you, live half the US away, and been staying in touch for 5 years. The interwebs are magical!

flask said...

thank you for all of this.

our lives never seem to go where we think they will.

thank you for taking us on the ride.