Thursday, September 19, 2013

The Weird Mom

I think I'm getting a reputation at the preschool.

Every Thursday, each child brings in a piece of fruit and then they all help cut it up to make fruit salad for their snack. Last Thursday, Cubby brought Concord grapes from our vines and two of the MILLIONS HOLY LORD of pears from our pear trees. I explained to one of the teachers that the Concord grapes have seeds, so they might not be universally popular with the kids. And then I left a bag of pears for each of the teachers.

When I went back to pick Cubby up that day, I was presented with an ENORMOUS container of leftover fruit salad to take home. Seriously. It was at least a gallon. The teacher explained, "We tried to think of someone who would be able to use it all up."

Right. It's in my freezer now, awaiting blending for five thousand fruit shakes.

Today there was a sign requesting that anyone who could contribute bring in various needed items. One of the items was yogurt. Since I just made some two days ago, I currently have five quarts of yogurt in my refrigerator. I asked the teacher if homemade would be okay. " Yes!" she said. "And can you give me your recipe?"

So when I went to pick Cubby up this afternoon, I brought the yogurt along with the instructions on how to make it. On the wall was yet another sign, this one asking if anyone could bring compost home.

Well, hell. We have not one, but two huge compost piles in which we dump shit on a daily basis, so I figured a little more from the school wouldn't make any difference. I told the teacher I could take it home. And then she asked if I could take it every week.

So I am now the Official Compost Lady for the preschool. Along with That Mom who makes her own yogurt and forces fruit onto people.

Oh well. I suppose there are worse things to be known for.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Back in my day, you would be called "The Room Mother." Mary in MN

flask said...

just in case nobody mentioned it, you are about twenty kinds of awesome.

Lindsey at NW Backyard Veggies said...

You're the Crunchy Mom!

Ha ha ha!

Me, too, dude...me, too...

Anonymous said...

It's ALWAYS good to have a role in preschool...!

FinnyKnits said...

Well, if you're going to be a specific kind of mom - that's the one to be. Plus! Free compost! That's kinda superfluous and fun.

Anonymous said...

Let us know what they think of your yogurt. :) Anyone who is used to that icky flavored gel in the small containers is going to be a little shocked by real homemade tart plain yogurt! -Wendy