Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Killing the Joy

Is there a child in the world who can resist the loud, joyful noise of popping bubble wrap? None that I've met. My children are no exception, so when the MiL got a box with a sheet of bubble wrap in it, Cubby commandeered it for a good popping session.

It had nice big bubbles on it, which of course make the best noise and are also easier to pop, so I figured he'd manage okay. But after a minute of no popping, he brought it to me requesting help.

Which is when I discovered the existence of un-poppable bubble wrap.

Yes. There is now a kind of bubble wrap in which the bubbles are all interconnected in horizontal rows, so instead of being able to squeeze the bubble hard enough that the pressure makes the plastic pop, the air is just pushed into the next bubble in the row, thereby rendering it un-poppable. What a screw.

I don't know who is responsible for this "innovation," but I can only hope it doesn't catch on. Because un-poppable bubble wrap is an abomination. And no fun at all.

4 comments:

tu mere said...

Yep, an innovation we totally don't need. Obviously, the engineers that came up with that cost saving for companies never considered both past and present parents who happily use those free popping bubbles as something fun and safe for their kids to do with their endless amount of unstructured time. I feel your pain.



Drew @ Willpower Is For Fat People said...

YES! Oh my god, we got some of this and I was so disappointed.

Umm ...

My kids ... my kids were so disappointed.

Anonymous said...

Our little town has a bubble wrap stomping on New Years Eve as one of the fun events....good clean fun. Beth

Sister’s Sailor said...

What about using boots and feet? Or did the kids end up with their own bouncy-house?