Tuesday, November 26, 2013

The Kraut Is On

Or maybe that should be "in." Whatever, I spent some time yesterday shredding and salting those enormous cabbages the MiL brought me and then stuffing the resultant weeping shreds into a gallon jar to start the process of controlled decomposition.

It sounds so appetizing, doesn't it?

Oh, but it is. Homemade sauerkraut is so, SO much better than anything you can buy, even the "fresh" stuff in bags. Do not even speak to me of the canned atrocity.

Sauerkraut is one of A.'s favorite vegetables--along with leeks, of which we also have a large supply--and he asked me somewhat longingly the other day while looking at the as-yet-unprocessed cabbages how long it takes sauerkraut to, uh, sauer.

Point taken, sauerkraut begun. With 200 pounds of pork in the freezer, sauerkraut is more or less mandatory. Pork chops and sauerkraut? Yeah. Bring it.

6 comments:

Sandy Shoes said...

How long does it take cabbage to saur?

Sandy Shoes said...

- sauer

Kristin @ Going Country said...

About two weeks, depending on conditions.

flask said...

save me a place at the table.

flask said...

save me a place at the table.

Sister’s Sailor said...

I do not think of sauerkraut as being a veggie....I look at it being a condiment for hot dogs, ham, hamburgers, etc. Too bad only Poseidon and I like it in our house.