Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Not the Takeaway I Was Hoping For


I'm currently reading The Long Winter to Cubby and Charlie as their bedtime book. There are many valuable lessons to be learned from this inspirational story of the Ingalls family enduring a harsh winter of deprivation: endurance, fortitude, courage, industry (keep that coffee mill grinding for the literal daily bread, girls!), and gratitude.

So what does Cubby say to me yesterday? "How come in The Long Winter, Ma doesn't ever yell like you do?"

Probably because her kids didn't do things like lock the bathroom door behind them with poop in the toilet so no one could get in to flush it until the key was found. And not just because they didn't even have a bathroom.

She had four girls who were seen and not heard, and Pa would take a belt to them if they disobeyed their mother. Does that sound good to you, Cubby? No? Then be thankful for the yelling.

That's not what I said, but it's what I thought. What I said was, "Just because it's not in the book doesn't mean she didn't do it."

Though she did probably yell less than I do.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonder why Cubby thinks you yell?
If they didn't do something wrong you would have no need to speak up.
I would yell, I am not patient and old as well.

Anonymous said...

It's always so wonderful to start my day laughing aloud about something you've written in the blog. That Cubby...!

Anonymous said...

Good answer! Mary in MN

tu mere said...

Like you said, four girls, and probably a zillion chores to do each day what with the whole make and do everything associated with daily living, eating, dressing, etc. falling to the females of the house.

Daisy said...

I just bought a vintage coffee mill from an estate sale. It's in good shape, it's really cute, and I'm ready for any lengthy power outage now!