Monday, September 4, 2017

The Thankless Child


From my beloved first-born's mouth today:

"Daddy does all the fun stuff with us. Like camping. All you do is sit in your chair and make dinner."

"Really." I said. "That's all I do?"

"Well, and maybe stuff like laundry. But not too much."

This, after a morning in which I cleaned the bathroom, swept and mopped the floors, cleaned out the kitchen garbage can, did two loads of laundry, harvested garden produce, and fed everyone. Plus gestated the next thankless child.

Sharper than a serpent's tooth, indeed.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't expect a sudden change.
Even adult children look back dismissively at Mom's role.
Sorry...
Best wishes,
Mikey

Anonymous said...

Challenge him to "help" you with your chores one whole day. He might change his mind! Mary in MN

sheila said...

You make it look so easy they don't even notice what you do. Stage a work strike.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Mikey: With the exception, perhaps, of those adult children who are mothers themselves. Believe me, I do not dismiss a single thing my mom did. I get it.

Sheila: An involuntary work strike will be coming up in approximately six weeks. We'll see if they even notice a difference in their environment when Dad is in charge of the three older ones while I deal with a newborn.

Anonymous said...

Yes, when you are away bearing the newborn. Things won't be so fun with JUST dad there. Young children...we were all one once.
You ONLY keep everything running smoothly and make it look easy. Good job!