Wednesday, February 14, 2018

This Is Your Valentine's Day on Sleep Deprivation


After being up most of last night--and several nights before that--and then hanging out with Poppy starting at 5 a.m., I was running low on motivation to make a special Valentine's Day breakfast for the children.

I had some bleary and very delusional thought that I should maybe make heart-shaped pancakes or something*. But then I came to my senses and cut some pieces of bread into rough heart shapes, slapped some peanut butter on that and bam! Valentine's Day memories: made!

Because nothing says love like wonky heart-shaped bread.

Anyway, today is a school day, so there will be plenty of Valentine's Day celebrating at school. By which I mean sugar. Plus, we took the kids to the church last night to eat pancakes and decorate cupcakes at the youth group fundraiser, so I feel I've done my holiday duty.

Happy Valentine's Day, my lovelies. I hope it's full of love. (Actually, I hope all your days are full of love. Maybe today I should hope for you that you receive chocolate. That's always good.)

* I do not mean to disparage this sort of thing if that's your happy place, but it most definitely is not mine. Thankfully, I feel no Pinterest-pressure whatsoever, so I don't even pretend I'm going to be doing stuff like this.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

No chocolate for me. Wine, instead.
Linda

Anonymous said...

Rock on supermom!

Anonymous said...

Hey that's good going (the heart shaped bread) - my son still hasn't forgiven me for not making pancakes on Pancake Day yesterday - do you celebrate that in the US? No-one seems to have mentioned it on the blogs? Hope you are having a great day (and get some choccies too) - Europafox x

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Pancake Day isn't a secular thing here, but many churches (including ours) have pancake suppers for Shrove Tuesday.

Daisy said...

I remember way back when my daughter (an adult now) was young and took her lunch to school. She didn't eat the bread crusts anyway (silly little picky eater), so I would cut her PBJs and bologna sandwiches (yea, yea, no gourmet lunches back then) with a heart shaped cookie cutter. I managed to create almost no waste - less, perhaps, than what she would have left behind with the crusts.
Oh, the memories! Thank goodness she learned to cook along the way.

Anonymous said...

Aah - I think in the UK there has been more 'co-opting' of religious feast days into secular holidays - but I have never heard of a Shrove Tuesday supper at a church before - which sounds great - bringing it back to it's original 'feast' prior to Lent.

DAISY - you sound like a genius!