Monday, September 17, 2018

My Idea of Fun


A couple of weeks ago while I was pushing Poppy in her stroller aimlessly around the village, I went down a side street I hadn't been down before and saw a property that had two trees absolutely loaded with apples.

I didn't know who lived there, but based on the age of the pick-up truck in front and the neatness of the property, I was guessing someone elderly. Also based on the fact that the majority of the village residents are elderly, but whatever. I felt very sleuthy.

Anyway.

About a week after that, A. was pushing Poppy aimlessly around in her stroller, with Jack trailing along as well, when Nick the Peach-Giver pulled up in his truck and informed A. that there was a man who had lots of apples and wanted anyone who wanted some to come pick them.

Same property I had seen. It is indeed an older man, who, although not elderly, has multiple sclerosis and therefore can't pick the apples himself.

A. returned with the bottom basket of the stroller overflowing with apples. And there was much rejoicing in our house.

My children absolutely adore apples, you see. But not mealy, tasteless grocery store apples. Their apple palate has been formed in the apple haven of New York State. They know good apples. And they know the ones from the store are not good. So when ten pounds of good apples showed up, they were thrilled.

I was, too. I was all set to make applesauce, because that is what I do when presented with a bunch of apples. I had a suspicion, though, based on the texture of these apples, that they might be more like baking apples instead of saucing apples. Saucing apples break down readily into mush when cooked. Baking apples hold their shape.

When I cooked an experimental small pot of the apples, not only did they hold their shape, they didn't break down at all. I managed to force them through the food mill after much effort, but the resulting sauce was quite mealy and dry.

So now what? Still have a bunch of apples (with more to come*); still needed a way to preserve them.

Then I remembered Rafael telling me about his mother drying apricots. I decided when in New Mexico, one should do as the New Mexicans. So I prepared an experimental sheet pan of apple rings and put them out in the sun (covered in cheesecloth to keep off flies).


The jar in the background of that photo has apple peelings and cores with water to make apple cider vinegar. I did this a few times in northern New York with varying levels of success, but it's not as if it's hard to do or costs anything.

Anyway.

Result? Perfect. This is the perfect climate for sun-drying. Not only is the sun very strong, there's quite a bit of wind, too. Those apple rings were all the way dry after about twelve hours in the sun.

And then they were gone within about an hour in the house. They are so good. And so convenient to just pick up and eat. Even Poppy can eat them.

So I made more, this time also using the broiler pan from the oven.

And then I decided I really needed a way to get more apple slices in the sun without taking up a bunch of space with pans. So now this is in my driveway:


Hi, neighbors!  Don't mind us crazy new people.

If that arrangement works, I can string up as many apple slices as I want. My only limitation is the number of apples I can peel, core, and slice by hand with a knife, because I don't have one of those machines to do it. If this is going to be a yearly event, I might get one of those, but for now it's just me and my paring knife versus a LOT of apples.

And that makes me happy.

* We brought a loaf of bread to the man last night as a thank you--because sourdough bread has now become my currency--and he asked us to pick more apples. We were happy to oblige.

10 comments:

Sara said...

You really lucked up with the lovely community there.

The apple peeler/corer/slicer tool may be the best $20 kitchen tool ever. I debated every year for about 20 years before buying one. Every time I use it I really wonder why I didn't buy it sooner. Only takes a minute to wash so even coring/slicing two apples is faster than doing it by hand. Enough apples for a pie in 5 minutes. Amazing time saver.

Have you considered a DIY solar dehydrator? I made one years ago from free scrounged materials. I was drying fruits and veggies faster than a small bought one could do so made one with big screens.

Tara said...

That looks wonderful! You should totally invest in an apple corer/peeler etc.

Any idea when you’ll have a big freezer as well?

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Tara: When we close on our new house. (How's that for a cliffhanger?)

Anonymous said...

Ooh, great cliffhanger.

You may have noticed that (seemingly most) New Mexicans don't really mind random things in the yard. Not an indictment — merely a fact. So carry on.

We were gifted about 2½ bushels of apples yesterday and I suspect a core/peel machine is in my near future ....

Karen.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Karen: Unless you want to sauce them, and then a Foley food mill can be in your future. I never peeled or cored them for applesauce.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Sara: I have considered making a solar dehydrator. But when I say "I", that really means "A.," so it might be awhile before he gets to something like that.

Anonymous said...

I sooo wish you were my neighbour! 'Nick the Peach Giver' cracked me up. I loved the photo of the drying apples too (although I don't like dried applies per se) - love apple sauce though! I had it every day when I lived in Holland (appelmoos) - they sell it in hug jars and go crazy for it. I share your hobby for picking wind-fell applies - myself and a neighbour scavenged from the lawn of another neighbour who is on holiday for two weeks - it is terrible to see them go to waste :)

Daisy said...

Did you ever find out what variety of apples they are? I'd be curious. Here in Wisconsin, we don't get enough sun for the solar drying trick. However, we do have a cider press in the garage. The guy at the orchard was surprised when we told him why we wanted such a quantity, and why they didn't have to be perfect. But that's another story.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

No. The ones that seem to thrive here are all similar--green even when ripe, with just a spot of red blush, small, deliciously tart/sweet, and definitely baking apples.

Natalie said...

If you ask around at church and places like that, you might find a neighbor who has the tool and is willing to let you borrow it. My neighbors and I have one that we pass around. With how fast it works, you can get through a large amount of apples in a weekend, so it's not too inconvenient to borrow.