Friday, March 29, 2019

Friday Food: BYOV


BYOV = "Bring Your Own Vegetables."

Friday

Short version: Pizza, green salad

Long version: I always make pizza when we have guests. I'm famous for it (in my head, anyway.) It is exceptional pizza. Not that I'm in any way biased.


Cast iron skillets make everything taste (and look) better.

I made one cheese pizza; one with mushrooms, bell pepper, and onions; and a salad with the grape tomatoes that I asked my sister to bring with her (along with quite a bit of other produce) when she drove to our house from the airport in Albuquerque. Because when you're a houseguest a hundred miles from anywhere, you bring your own tomatoes with you.

Saturday

Short version: Cheater carnitas tacos

Long version: Carnitas are supposed to be chunked-up pork simmered in water until tender, then the water simmered away until only the fat remains to fry the meat in.

However.

I have a great aversion to cutting up raw pork, and anyway, my pork roast had a bone in it.

So instead I cooked the pork slowly in my Dutch oven in the, um, oven (with nothing but salt and a very small amount of water to prevent scorching), then poured off the fat and juices, pulled the meat off the bone and into chunks, and fried the chunks in the fat I skimmed off the poured-off stuff.

It was really good. Even if I did forget to cut up one of the avocados that my sister also brought with her.

The children also had an appetizer of frozen peas. What can I say? It makes them happy and keeps them quiet for five minutes. Who am I to argue with that?

Sunday

Short version: T-bone steaks, roasted potatoes, sauteed mushrooms and onions, roasted broccoli, chocolate pudding

Long version: One of my sister's favorite foods is steak. Well! Did she come to the right house or what?

So we had steak.

I roasted the potatoes in some more of the duck fat that I continue to work on using up. And the broccoli was, of course, also something she brought with her.

I made pudding again because I had to go on Saturday to pick up my usual two gallons of milk from the people up the road that have Jersey cows, but I still had quite a bit of milk left due to A. being gone and not drinking it. And I needed to empty and wash the half-gallon Mason jars it comes in so I could bring them back. So I made a double batch of this chocolate pudding Saturday morning.

The taste was perfect, but it was too thin. I mean, no one refused it, but pudding shouldn't really be drinkable. Maybe it was because it was a double batch. Or maybe because I didn't have enough chocolate chips and had to substitute cocoa powder, sugar, and butter for half the chocolate chips. Or maybe I just didn't cook it long enough.

I will make it again, though. It had a very strong chocolate flavor, which is exactly how I like chocolate pudding. Pudding cups don't even come close. They're a weird gray-brown color. This looked just like melted chocolate.


Chocolate brown, as God intended chocolate pudding to be. No gray.

Monday

Short version: Leftovers. And grape tomatoes.

Long version: My sister left this day and A. was supposed to come home from his trip to New York. She did; he didn't. His flight was canceled, thanks to all those 737s being grounded.

So we had leftovers.

I heated up the remainder of the carnitas pork in a cast iron skillet. It must be re-heated in a skillet, or it's not good.

Charlie, Jack, and Poppy had tortillas and cheese with the pork. Cubby had that plus some of the rice and vegetable soup I made with the remainder of Miss Amelia's chicken rice.

I had diced avocado, tomatoes, and pork with a little balsamic vinegar. Tortillas and cheese not at all necessary.

Tuesday

Short version: Meatballs in marinara sauce, garlic bread, green peas

Long version: When I made the meatballs the week before, I froze twenty plain, raw meatballs. A. wasn't going to be home for dinner again, so I just made a quick marinara sauce in the morning (lots of garlic sauteed in olive oil, one can of whole tomatoes mashed with the potato masher, the dregs of the bottle of red wine my sister and I finished, dried basil and oregano, bay leaf), poured it over the meatballs and baked them.

I was going to make pasta, but I was once again baking bread in the afternoon. Garlic bread it is, then.

Wednesday

Short version: Sirloin steaks, boiled potatoes, green salad

Long version: Another 4:15 p.m. 4-H meeting, another chance for prepping dinner way ahead of time. I peeled and diced the potatoes in the afternoon and left them in the pot covered with water for A. to cook before we got home. I also left two ENORMOUS sirloin steaks that flopped over the edge of my griddle pan and kept causing flare-ups.

A. made the potatoes and started the steaks before we got home at 5:15 p.m., but I finished everything because he went back to the village to get the big bag of dishes and leftovers from the peanut butter cookies and vegetables and ranch dip I had brought for Official 4-H Snack. I left the bag next to the van in the parking lot and drove right off without it.

Yay, me.

A. drove 20 miles roundtrip to retrieve it and didn't find it.

One of the other parents found it and left it by our door on her way home. And hey, at least it wasn't my wallet.

Thursday

Short version: Fajitas, green salad

Long version: This is the first time I've ever made fajitas with the traditional skirt steak, and now I see why skirt steak is the preferred cut of beef for fajitas. So, so good. I marinated them in oil, lime juice, chili powder, cumin, a small amount of soy sauce, and salt. Yum.

And now I've gotten to the very end with no picture of the baby and no current picture to post. So let's have a blast from the very cheeky past.


Hair by Cubby. Poor girl has been bugged by her brothers from the very beginning.

Okay, your turn! What'd you eat this week?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Your pizza picture makes my mouth water. It looks so yummy!
I'm almost embarrassed to mention my Saturday dinner!
Saturday - kale salad, Aldis pizza, 1/2 with mushrooms, 1/2 with sautéed turkey burger
Sunday - out after church again, so bacon, cheese, crackers, pickles
Monday - roasted chicken thighs, roasted potatoes, yellow squash, onions, with a side of broccoli
Tuesday - breaded, baked pork chops, roasted potatoes, side of broccoli
Wednesday - quiche, toast, broccoli again
Thursday - crockpot turkey burger meatloaf cooked with potatoes & carrots, once again, broccoli
Friday - grocery store after work today, so I think roasted chicken legs, with roasted potatoes & mushrooms
Linda

Anonymous said...

Hello there...cute goober pic...


Week four of our vegetarian adventure

Monday - Tuscan white bean salad topped with avocado, toasted jalapeno cheese bread (the bakery in town is my kryptonite), and some canned peaches


Tuesday - Baked butternut squash topped with butter and maple syrup (I know...it was good though), leftover bean salad and bread


Wednesday - Cleaned out the fridge and had a bunch of odds and ends from the veggie drawer...roasted all that I could in the oven and added to jarred marinara which was pretty good on a pile of buttered garlic noodles, finished the half empty container of cottage cheese and husband made himself a monstrously huge hamburger patty, oh and bread of course

Thursday - Finishing up a bag of yellow potatoes and some sweet potatoes so I grated them up and made fried potato patties topped with sour cream (which I jazzed up with a touch of lemon and cilantro) and chives (husband of course made another burger for himself), had a spinach, grape tomato and cucumber salad, sliced up and finished the last banana and orange from the fruit bowl for dessert...we were bad and topped the fruit with whipped cream


Friday - Plan on making black bean, avocado and chili's enchiladas, corn chips on the side


Last thoughts on our vegetarian experiment

!. I really didn't miss the meat (surprisingly) and I found some awesome recipes (and more I want to try) also, I thought that vegetarian recipes would be different and complicated, and some certainly are, but I found plenty of simple ones to try.

2. I found that its not hard to plan and accommodate different eating habits/styles. I actually thought it would be...I had visions of constantly making two different dinners every night (not to mention breakfast and lunches) so I was pleasantly surprised...oh, and actually, it wasn't busting the budget all to heck either....just have to plan well


3. I think we'll keep it up...with maybe the occasional grilled fish meal or burger out


So I think our toe dip into the vegetarian pool went well and I'm glad our kiddo wanted to try it...nothing like kids to make you re-think things!


Best, and thanks for reading!



Tammy said...

Fajita chicken and rice w vegs in
Steak, m/c, peas
Spaghetti, broccoli
Huddle House
Lasagna
BBQ chicken, rice w field peas

Your pizza looks amazing, and leaving the bag is something I would do, lol.

Gemma's person said...

When I saw the pudding pic, I thought it was hot fudge sauce!