Tuesday, April 23, 2019

Timely As Always


Now that it's the Tuesday after Easter, I think it's time to throw some pictures your way, right? Right.

So this girl woke up at 4:40 a.m., which definitely makes it challenging for the Easter Bunny to do her thing.



I guess she figured Jesus rose, and so should she.

Nevertheless, there were eggs* hidden outside to be hunted.


This is such a classic Charlie photo. Shirtless, with the joy of Easter just radiating from his face.

And there were baskets, too.


Chocolate crosses, peanut butter bunnies, calculators, trowels, and vegetable seeds. No jelly beans, because no one likes them. No plastic "grass" either, because that is an abomination.

After which I presented them all with egg salad and crackers, which they of course ignored in favor of eating all the chocolate.


I have fond memories of doing the same thing in my own chocolate-fueled childhood.

Then we got all dressed up and went to church.


Floofy dresses are a definite perk to having a little girl. 

Upon returning home we put the new trowels to work planting the miniature roses that were handed out at church.


Those trowels? They're Fiskars. The Easter Bunny had some help from the MiL on those, and now my children officially have better trowels than I do.

There was also a big planting frenzy by A., who helped the boys plant every single seed they got in their Easter baskets. So we now have about 40 hills of corn, five hills of watermelons, and a twenty-foot row of green beans planted. It's too early for the corn and watermelon, really, but we'll worry about that later. We can always re-plant if we have to, I guess.

Oh, and what did we have for our special Easter dinner? Not ham.


Build Your Own Nachos. Because I'm an adult and I can make what I want on holidays. There has to be some upside to this adulthood nonsense.

And there you have it. Easter is over and we are closing in fast on the end of school.

Eek.

* Incidentally, are we the last people in America that dye and hide real eggs? All I see anymore are the plastic ones filled with junk. I feel about those the same way I feel about plastic grass.

10 comments:

tu mere said...

Yep. Real eggs colored the night before for the Easter bunny to hide, which got left in the bottom of one basket overnight and had to be thrown away. That's about the only downside, and really the adults' fault. There were the plastic ones hidden later, but the Easter bunny had nothing to do with those. Really, can you ever have too much chocolate on Easter sunday? I guess so, but we all like to think not.

Anonymous said...

I know a few folks that still color "real" eggs & hide them. Not so many anymore...sad.
Great Easter baskets...the seeds are a wonderful idea. And the trowels, too.
Linda

Lindsay C said...

I guess my question with the hard boiled / dyed eggs ... don't they go bad by being placed out side while the kids hunt for them? To me that doesn't seem very wise because I love hard boiled eggs and would rather keep them in the fridge and be able to eat them! HAHA! Also, when I was growing up I was all about finding the butterfinger, crunch, and reese's filled eggs! I think there is just something so exciting about finding the candy filled eggs! :)

Kristin @ Going Country said...

LIF: Not if you hide them the morning of. They were out there for less than an hour and it was 45 degrees, which isn't much higher than a refrigerator's temperature.

I have no objection to candy, I just think its proper place is in the Easter basket. Must be because that's the way it was when I was a kid. I was programmed early. :-)

mil said...

Charlie is definitely channeling the traditional New Mexican santos.

Natalie said...

I saw that you got your seeds from seeds n such, have you ordered from them before? This is my first year trying some of their seeds (lettuce and.... something else....curse new mom brain!) and I'm excited to see how they turn out.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Natalie: The MiL actually bought those, so I don't know anything about the company and their seeds. I did start some Stupice tomato seeds she got from them, too, and only about half of them germinated, but I have no idea how long the MiL might have had those seeds.

mil said...

My Stupice seeds were slow--but when I put the seed tray on the heating pad for bottom heat, they came right up. On the other hand, the Goliath Giant Early from the same company came up gangbusters even without heat. I ordered all seed fresh this year.

Something has been worrying me. It looks like the sour cream came out of a squeeze tube affair. Tell me it isn't true-- (but on the other hand, I do understand your shopping issues. Years ago, my friend Lisa Montoya stunned me but remarking that her family drove the 70 miles from Cuba NM to Albuquerque to shop--

Kristin @ Going Country said...

MiL: I'm sorry to say that it is indeed one of those wretched squeeze containers. I had to have sour cream for the nachos, though, and my options at the store ten miles away were either nasty sour cream with questionable ingredients in the normal tubs, or Daisy Brand in the squeeze thing but with nothing weird in the actual sour cream. So I went with the stupid squeeze thing. It was that or drive 180 miles for Daisy Brand in a standard container . . .

Anonymous said...

When I was a kid, we colored eggs which were left in baskets the night before, for the Bunny to hide. (Mom and Dad secretly put the eggs back in the fridge until early morning, when they were hidden - inside, since the yards around Chicago often had snow at Easter). I tried this with my child, but must have missed some of the tricks, since the dye mixed with condensation on the cold eggs, left stains where ever they were placed. We switched to plastic eggs.