Friday, February 14, 2020

Friday Food: Where's the Elk?


Happy Valentine's Day! I didn't cook elk one single time this week. And it's not because I've used it all up, either. Oh no. I just didn't cook it.

Friday

Short version: Ground beef tacos with homemade corn tortillas

Long version: I made all of Jack's dreams come true with this meal. Homemade tortillas and taco meat made out of ground beef and NOT the dreaded elk? He loved me extra because of this.

Saturday

Short version: Homecoming hot dogs

Long version: The only sporting event we attend at the school all year is the homecoming basketball game. The kids all had hot dogs from the concession stand. A. had something called "red chile tacos," plus the hot dogs the kids didn't finish. I think Jack may have finagled a bag of chips out of his father sometime during the game when I was in the gym actually watching it with his brothers.

All in all, we spent far too much for not healthy food, but it was fun, and I have no regrets.

Sunday

Short version: Pizza, green salad

Long version: I wasn't planning on pizza, but then I was mixing the third addition of flour into my sourdough dough and decided to add in extra flour and make a pizza with it. It already had some whole wheat flour, so it wasn't quite as good as a white flour pizza, but still pretty good.

I only made one pizza, and I made it plain cheese. For A. and Cubby, I cooked a few pieces of bacon and crumbled them up, and then mixed some anchovy paste into that for them to top their pizza with. It seemed unappealing to me, but they enjoyed it.

Monday

Short version: Rice+leftover taco meat+extra salsa+cheese+frozen corn=workday

Long version: Nope. The day was long enough.

Tuesday

Short version: Shrimp, eggs, spaghetti alfredo, frozen green peas, cheesecake

Long version: Happy birthday, Cubby! Mama N. came through for Cubby in a big way by sending a snowstorm that made the roads too dangerous for the school buses. Is there any better present when you're ten years old than a snow day from school? Nope.

Part of the day was spent painting bags and boxes for the valentines they will be receiving from their classmates.


Although they were not as enthused about this as I suspect the girls in their classes are.

He also got an extra twenty-minute turn on the flight simulator. In the middle of the day. When it wasn't even dark yet*. Birthdays are indeed the days that dreams come true.

He wasn't wearing this shirt when he was using the simulator, but only because he hadn't opened it yet.


Thanks, Nana and Baca!

I got the shrimp at the store in the larger town when we were there a couple of weeks ago. I found only two bags left of the wild-caught gulf shrimp from Texas. They're a lot more expensive than the shrimp raised in tanks in Thailand or wherever, but given that we eat shrimp exactly once a year, I'm okay with the splurge. Cleaning shrimp is not high on my list of happy kitchen tasks, but again, once a year. I just sauteed them in butter with garlic, then added a bit of lemon juice.

The three family members who don't like shrimp had fried eggs.

I made the cheesecake on Sunday, and despite baking it for twenty minutes longer than the recipe specified, I think it still wasn't as done as it should have been. It was supposed to be a dense cheesecake, but was more creamy. High altitude strikes again. Still delicious, though, as anything composed solely of various dairy products and sugar is bound to be.

Oh, and I don't bother with the graham cracker crust. I made a nominal crust with almonds whizzed in the food processor with a bit of butter and sugar to coat the pan before I put in the cheesecake mixture, but honestly, it would probably be fine without anything. The point of a cheesecake isn't the crust, in my opinion.

Wednesday

Short version: Leftovers, curried squash soup

Long version: The kids ate leftover spaghetti. Cubby finished his birthday shrimp and the other children ostensibly ate the last of the taco meat for their protein, but in reality they pretty much just ate the spaghetti.

I made the squash soup for me because I wanted something hot instead of the salad I had planned on. I made the soup by simply sauteeing some diced onion with sweet curry powder and salt, then adding chicken stock from the freezer, as well as a bag of frozen squash. A little heavy cream at the end, and that's it. I ate it with some cheese.

We also finished up the cheesecake.

Thursday

Short version: Sausage, mashed potatoes, green salad

Long version: This was the second package of the German-style sausage. Most of this meal was prepared ahead of time, as we were all at Charlie's and Cubby's class Valentine's Day parties, eating various forms of sugar. 

I do not exempt myself from this, as one of the mothers brought in homemade doughnuts. I ate three. And then I ate nothing but salad and vegetables for dinner, because that's a lot of doughnuts.

Okay, your turn! What'd you eat this week?

* One of my many rules for the simulator is that they do not use it if it's light outside. I suppose this rule will have to be amended in the summer, when it's light out the entire time they're awake--and some of the time they're not--but for now, this works.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Valentine's Day!
S - casserole with chicken, bacon, cheese & cauliflower, garlic bread, roasted potatoes
S - take out
M - leftover casserole from Sat. & roasted potatoes
T - meatloaf, roasted carrots, sautéed spinach & mushrooms
W - tilapia, roasted carrots & potatoes, sautéed spinach & mushrooms
T - steak, cheese, mushroom sandwich, soup with mushrooms, kale & rice
F - chicken, squash, kale casserole & some kind of vegetable on the side
Linda

Gemma's person said...

Skillet dinner , onion spinach brussel sprouts sausage peppers sauteed then add chicken broth and break up a package of ramen noodles.
Home made morel mushroom soup.
Hamburgers fries.
Homemade bbq pork baked beans.
Baked potatoes with stuff on them.
Scrambled eggs sausage.
In no particular order the things I remember.

Anonymous said...

Daughter and I are still flirting with vegitarian dishes...so far we've found quite a few dishes we like so together we are putting together a notebook of recipies for each of us, it's a fun project and I must say that I like not feeling weighed down after a meal

Monday - BS italian pasta salad (which is basically just pasta, bell peppers, red onion, pepporchinis, cherry tomatoes, chickpeas, mozzarella and italian dressing tossed into a bowl and called dinner) We had leftover candied yams and bread to go with

Tuesday - leftover pasta salad with homade vegitarian italian sausage patties we also tried out a new dish...slow cooker barley and chickpea risotto...it wasnt bad but I think next time it needs more lemon

Wendsday - Stirfried veggies and cashews with dragon sauce over rice

Thursday - Peanut sauced veggie slaw over soba noodles, oranges and bananas

Friday - Because I want to actually sit down at my desk and work on a writing project I'm making enough taco (or nacho) fixings to carry us through Sunday...dirto on fix it yourself breakfast and lunches...

Happy valentines day