Wednesday, May 13, 2020

No More Pencils, No More Books


And this officially ends the most bizarre school year ever.

School ended this year via distance learning on Zoom, because that's what life is like now.

Charlie had his last Zoom class meeting at 8 a.m., during which his class had a pet show and everyone got to show off their pets. The other five students in his class all showed off their dogs. Charlie chose to introduce everyone to Dorito, the chick that Charlie named and that we're pretty sure is a rooster. Not a pet for much longer, I guess.

Cubby had his last Zoom class meeting at 10:30 a.m., during which his class showed everyone the kites they were invited to make and fly this week. Cubby insisted all week that he didn't want to make a kite--it wasn't required, so I didn't insist--but then decided an hour before his meeting that yes, he DID want a kite.

It was made from a coat hanger, a trash bag, and duct tape, and amazingly, actually flew about twenty feet for ten seconds on his sixth try running down the road to launch it.

Jack had his last Zoom class meeting at noon. His preschool class had "Cowboy Day" for their last class, which was hilarious because the teacher showed a bunch of photos from her own ranch and all the kids basically dressed in their, uh, clothes. Since 80% of them actually live on working ranches.

Jack's cowboy outfit is not his everyday apparel, but we do at least have all the correct items.


He was very excited that I let him borrow my hat, which I do not ever let my children use unless it's for a very specific purpose. Because anything they use gets broken.

Then we celebrated with some banana bread. I felt like I should make them a treat since they were missing their end-of-year sugar-binge parties.

And that was it. It was pretty anticlimactic. 

Our daily lives will change very little now, except I no longer have to nag the older two to do their math or force my very reluctant boys to sit still for Zoom meetings on Mondays and Wednesdays.

Ah, summer. You came none too soon.

7 comments:

sheila said...

Argggg we have over a month of school left here. It's getting old. Lot's of grumpiness on the part of newly turned 11yr old grandson I live with. Suburb living and all he wants to do is use electronic devices. All the parks, playgrounds, pools and camps are closed for the summer. He does get out once a day and ride his bike or go for a walk with his Mom or I for an hour. School work is made out to be torture. He will listen to books I read to him, so we do that for at least an hour every day. He has been out of school since March 3rd and I'm doubtful if they will even have school next fall. Only children are lonely children, yours are lucky to have each other during this time.

Anonymous said...

I'm amazed that Charlie showed Dorito. I thought it would be Samson!?! You folks are lucky with school ended. Ours here in PA goes until the first week of June, (although I think you start sooner than our kids, if I'm not mistaken).
Linda

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Sheila: Yes, they are lucky. They haven't really had too much trouble with staying home and feeling isolated. Some might wish for more isolation. :-)

Linda: Yes, we start much sooner--second week of August. The later start and later ending in the east was really hard for my kids. Who wants to still be in school in late June? No one. Even the teachers.

Zoe said...

Congratulations to all on making it through to the end of the year. Well done! Sounds like you've done an amazing job to meet three school schedules and your own work too.

Here in New Zealand, kids are going back to school on Monday for the first time in 7 weeks (although two weeks at the start were deemed holidays so only 5 weeks of school at home).
We opted to set our expectations nice and low to start with, attempting only 1-1.5 hours a day and called it done! The kids have been plenty busy with hours of imaginative play everyday and without any interruptions, are getting along amazingly well.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Zoe: Thanks. I hope the re-start of school goes well for you. I think it would be almost as hard to get them back in the classroom for a short amount of time after a long break. Good luck to the teachers.

mil said...

I don't know who is responsible for naming the other chickens, but I do LOVE Dorito as a name for a chicken. Of course, I think that Little Man, Gangster (GREAT name) and Buttercup are all super names.

Anonymous said...

Hi, here in England schools dont break up until late July. They have been closed since late March. Right now we're seeing a terrific fight between the Government who want schools to reopen June 1st and the Unions who argue it's still too dangerous. As a Teacher and a mum.... I'm unsure what will be best. Such strange times.
Vicki (the new reader via Frugal Girl)