Monday, August 17, 2020

A Sign of the Times

We have discovered a new use for the decorative iron thing in our front entry:

 
Mask central.

I bet I could show the kids that photo in twenty years, and they will know what year it was taken. Unless we're all still wearing masks whenever we leave the property in 2021, which I suppose is possible.

And in related news, Cubby has found a new use for the sewing skills taught to him by the MiL years ago:



He was complaining that the masks I bought for the other kids didn't fit him (they don't--he has a big head) and that nothing fits him and everything is uncomfortable and "I'M GOING TO MAKE MY OWN."

And so, with an old t-shirt of Jack's and a needle, he did. It took him about thirty minutes. I helped him very minimally. I don't sew at all, except for the odd button that needs to be sewn on, so my help was limited to assisting him with the measuring of his face and the length of the ear loops.

We didn't actually look up any instructions, instead just winging it, but it turns out there are quite a few tutorials for t-shirt masks online. Of course.

I did tell him he needed to make sure to cut the shirt with the double layers, figuring that would make it more effective, and after the fact I found that I was more right than I knew.

Nice to find scientific confirmation.

Anyway. School starts for us today, so we need all the masks we have. And if we need more, I know who to ask.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go, Cubby.
Linda

Gemma's person said...

Leaving the place in 2021......
Cubby will always be able to use sewing skills.

Anonymous said...

Like you my sewing skills are limited so the fact your boy can do so is IMPRESSIVE!

*gentle fist bump to Cubby from me*

Respect dude!

Gemma's person said...

Oh, going anywhere off the property , then masks...I read it wrong.