Tuesday, December 29, 2020

Tuesday Tips: Just Cook the Onion

We're gonna keep this one short and to the point: When you are left with a part of a raw onion after using whatever you need for whatever recipe you're making, just go ahead and slice up the rest of the onion and cook it. 

It seems like a pain to get out another pan, I know, but it is always worth it. Because then you don't have part of a raw onion smelling up the refrigerator, and you have cooked onion ready to go for anything.

Would I, for example, cut part of an onion off for the small amount I might need for sauteed green beans? No. But I will use some of that already-cooked onion, and the green beans will taste a lot better with that addition. 

So cook those partial onions and thank yourself later.

That's all.


Unrelated Poppy photo, because why not.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a great tip. I know I don't always feel like cutting off a small section of onion to saute with something, but it pays to be prepared.
Linda

Jody said...

Hmmm. I probably wouldn't do this, but I do think it's smart to go ahead and at least chop or slice it up and put it in a container in the fridge so that the next time you don't need to dirty up a knife. . . and meal prep is that much easier.

mil said...

This is a good tip. Since my meals are VERY heavy on leftovers (e.g., one roast chicken = about a week of meals), having some sauted onion on hand to boost the flavors makes a great deal of sense. Next time I cook, I will prepare some onions to have on hand. It's almost the new year, so I can start being extravagant with my onions.

Gemma's person said...

I can eat just cooked onion. Good tip.

Jody said...

I need to amend my comment. After my husband cooked up an onion to go with our supper, I'll have to at least sometimes follow your suggestion because 1) it smells so good and 2) all but the 5yo gobbled it up. (To be fair, the 5yo is fickle. . . she hates beets one minute and is asking for seconds the next.)

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Jody: That's funny. How's that for timing?