Friday, August 20, 2021

Friday Food: School Days

Friday 

Short version: Lamb ribs, curried split peas, garlic bread, roasted carrots and green beans

Long version: I'm trying to clear some of the bulkier packages of meat out of the freezer in anticipation of having an entire steer to cram in there in a few weeks. The lamb ribs qualify a bulky.

All I did was marinate them in lots of apple cider vinegar, garlic, salt, and pepper, then cook them covered for a few hours until they were tender.

Cubby tells me lamb ribs are his favorite meal, and if he had a million dollars, that's what he would buy.

We don't have a million dollars, but we do have the sheep from which we can harvest ribs. Lucky Cubby.

I doubt there are many millionaires who eat lamb ribs, anyway.

Saturday

Short version: Bull and gravy, mashed potatoes, green beans

Long version: The other thing I'm working on from the freezer stock is pressure-canning more of the bull meat. It's much more useful to me in the pressure-canned form, since that means it's tender. Since I had the pressure canner/cooker out, I used it after I did my canning to pressure cook about ten pounds of bull steaks. 

The pressure cooker obviously seals in all the juices, so I used the liquid from the cooker to make gravy ("lots," at Cubby's request), and then just sliced the meat and covered it with gravy.

Gravy=meat juices, onion, salt, pepper, garlic powder, cornstarch, and milk.

I rarely make gravy, but both Jack and Cubby wish I would do it much more often. It is pretty good.

Sunday

Short version: Roasted chicken, roasted potatoes, cucumbers with salt and vinegar, cow patty cookies

Long version: A. butchered another white meat chicken for me. We're down to three. I'm trying to just eat them fresh, rather than freeze them, to conserve freezer space for the steer.

Potatoes and cucumbers from the garden. Yay!

And . . . the cookies.

Cubby was looking over my shoulder a few days before when I was looking up a recipe and saw a video for these cookies. And then he chose them for his Sunday dessert choice.

I don't know why my children never choose anything basic like chocolate cake or chocolate chip cookies or something.

Anyway. The recipe is flourless, which means almost the entirely of the cookies is powdered sugar and chocolate chips. And egg whites.

There is much discussion of the egg whites, with the recipe calling for two or three depending on how dry the dough is as you're mixing it. I apparently don't have the same definition of "too dry," because I added the third egg white and ended up with something less like cookie dough and more like cake batter. That is, wet.

The dough is supposed to be rolled with your hands, but there was no way my dough/batter was rollable. So I just plopped it right onto the cookie sheets, where it promptly started spreading. And then it spread even more in the oven, until . . .


Yeah. Like I said, Cow Patty Cookies.

They ended up pretty tasty, although very sweet. As you would expect given the ingredients. The rest of the family enjoyed them quite a bit. Calvin even said they tasted like pots de creme, which I'm pretty sure is the highest compliment he can give.

I wouldn't make them again just for me, but Cubby wants to try again to see if we can make them more cookie-like and less . . . cow-patty-like.

Monday

Short version: Leftover chicken and gravy, leftover mashed potatoes, bread and butter, frozen peas

Long version: First day of school for the boys, first day of work for me, leftovers for dinner.

You'll see this a lot on Mondays and Wednesdays, which are my work days. Rummaging in the refrigerator and re-heating is the best way to get dinner on the table in short order.


I feel just like Poppy looks when I'm riding home on the bus at the end of the day. The bus aide is discouraged from napping, however. More's the pity.

Tuesday

Short version: Rooster tacos, carrot sticks

Long version: Our elderly neighbors brought us two more roosters, which A. killed and skinned for me, and I pressure cooked.

Then I picked the carcasses clean, shredded the meat, and combined it with salsa, garlic powder, and chile powder to make very fast taco meat. It was good.

Those young roosters always look they have no meat on them, but after the meat is stripped off, it's a surprisingly large amount. I really dislike picking meat off bones, but it's always worth it.

Wednesday

Short version: Barbecue beef, chicken tacos, carrot and cucumber sticks, bread and butter with apricot jam

Long version: Another workday! Hence, the random foods.

The last of the pot roast simmered with barbecue sauce for A. and me. That meat also went into sandwiches for Jack and Poppy.

Calvin had the tacos. And so did Jack. He ate two tacos after his sandwich. Jack is currently eating more than Cubby, who is quite a bit larger and also has three-hour football practices every day.

Kids' eating phases are weird.

All the kids had the bread and jam after Cubby got home from practice. Because sometimes, you just need to fill in the corners with bread and jam.

Thursday

Short version: Chicken stir-fry, rice

Long version: Surprise work day, to sub for the other teacher's aide. Luckily, I had made rice on Tuesday to have on hand for this dinner.

After getting home and lying down for a half hour or so--the first week of school is exhausting for everyone--I put together two bags of frozen stir-fry vegetables, the last of the leftover roasted chicken, soy sauce, vinegar, garlic powder, and peanut butter, and called it dinner. 

Forgot the ginger. Bummer.

Okay, your turn! What'd you eat this week?

6 comments:

mil said...

Made macque choux last night. Yum.

Anonymous said...

Cow patty look-a-likes they are! Recipe sounds good, though.
stromboli, peach pie, veggies & ranch dip (which I finally used your recipe to make) I needed to get dill weed & kept forgetting when I was at the store. It is so much better than bottled.
grilled hamburgers, salad, baked beans, peach pie
tilapia, roasted potatoes, salad, garlic bread
leftover hamburgers, pasta with cheese, zucchini & tomatoes, peach crisp
tuna, vegetable, pasta salad, chips, peach crisp
mashed garlic potatoes, stir fry with vegetables & scrambled eggs
And I'm not sure for tonight.
Linda

Anonymous said...

Long time lurker/first time commenter… I’m so introverted, I don’t even like talking to people virtually. :0)

Sunday- Ruebens and watermelon…hubs said sandwiches tasted like he always hopes restaurant Ruebens taste like, but they always fall short of his expectations.
Monday-Taco salad. Always a fan favorite.
Tuesday- Summer lasagna—one pot meal from Mel’s Kitchen Cafe. Good and fast.
Wednesday- Breakfast for dinner. Eggs, scrambled for the kids, and fried for those who have superior taste, sausage, hash browns, and cut up fruit.
Thursday—Burgers. We finally have some room in the budget for a dinner out per week for a break for mom. Much looked forward to by the younger set of kids and a much appreciated break for me.
Friday- Plan is for eggplant mozzarella sandwiches; we’ll see if that pans out.

Enjoy your weekend!
Jessica

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Jessica: I am in complete sympathy. Some bloggers are so good about responding to every comment. I am . . . not. And I think that's because of introversion.

Also, jealous of your reubens. That was one of my favorite things to order when I used to eat at restaurants. But yes, they can be disappointing.

Kit said...

Friday-camping! with just two people! both adults! Big squashy bologna sandwiches with mayo, tomato, lettuce and deli cheese. I never buy bologna...it was so good! and potato chips.
Saturday-leftover noodles and cheese from home, and salad from home.
Sunday-more sandwiches.
Monday-breakfast for dinner, eggs, bacon, potatoes.
Tuesday-blts
Wednesday-canned corned beef and mixed veg
Thursday-bean burritos. Home tomorrow and back to real cooking, for better or worse!

Anonymous said...

Hello

This week we ate:

Monday - stir fry with steak peppers and sugar peas over rice

Tuesday - was all by my lonesome so I made a ham sandwich which I ate with jalapeno chips

Wendsday - pinto bean and leftover pork chop casserole and cornbread

Thursday - hamburger patties, monster salads and bakery rolls

Friday - tomorrow is shopping day and I still have produce and bits and pieces of meat so I'm thinking kitchen sink spaghetti with the rest of the rolls