Sunday, April 10, 2022

Snapshots: Fishing and Spring

We went fishing on Friday. It was a day-long adventure to a lake a little over an hour away with the goal of catching a northern pike.

No one caught a pike, but everyone had fun.


It was a classic glaringly bright New Mexico day.


We know reports of giant pike in this lake are true because A. found this pike skull immediately after exiting the van. (Yes, pike can get really, really big.)


No pike caught, but they did land a couple of pretty big carp. (The child in the green shirt is Cubby's friend, who came with us because his dream in life is to catch a pike. Alas, a dream that has yet to be fulfilled.)


After getting up early and spending hours helping five children with fishing poles, A. was ready for a siesta.


This girl got a bit bored of the fishing by hour three or so, but she did enjoy doing a dance recital on this giant stump.

Meanwhile, back at the (non-) ranch . . .


Tiny daffodils!


Tiny tulip!


The garlic mini-farm.


New bovine occupants in our neighbor's pasture across the road from our house. I think they're young steers, although they might be young bulls. I didn't look that closely. I know they're males, though.


The dogs and I went the opposite direction on the road yesterday morning. Whichever way we go, there's always a whole lotta sky.

There you have it! My life, snapshotted.

7 comments:

J said...

Oh, I just love these photos! And I loved hearing about the adventure, too. Your gentle, sly humor is delightful. Years afonIbrember being in ABQ, and we had a goal of lake/beach swimming in every state we visited, so we drove somewhere a few hours away and did that. Now I can’t remember where we went, The sand was very strange to us midwesterners, but it was pretty magical. Thanks for sharing this!

J said...

*years ago I remember*
I sure don’t know what afonibrember meant!

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed hearing about your Friday adventure. That must have been some Pike.
Linda

Sherry said...

I've never caught a pike either but I do know they get quite big. What is really fun is catching a salt water catfish. The smallest ones can put up such a big fight on your line that you are sure you are reeling in a shark!

Drew @ How To Cook Like Your Grandmother said...

That picture on the tree stump looks like a special effect. The scale is breaking my brain.

Mary W said...

I need to remember to make the photos bigger. I'm very impressed by the fence around the garlic patch, um, I mean farm.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Drew: I know. A. said it was a cottonwood. I didn't know they got that big.

Mary W.: Yes, that fence was one of the things that sold A. on this property. One of the previous owners was a welder, so there's a lot of welded pipe all over. That fence is welded oil-field pipe with cattle panels. It's indestructible.