Tuesday, August 9, 2022

T.T.: Fair Footwear

Before I met A., I had never been to a fair. I had been to carnivals, with the rides and all, but I had never been to an agriculturally-based fair.

In the past twenty years, however, I have been to many. County fairs, state fairs, some very tiny (here), some very big (The Great New York State Fair--always in caps, always with the "Great" adjective). And one of the most important things I have learned is what to wear on my feet.

Comfortable, closed shoes.


County fair shoes, Day 1.


County fair shoes, Days 2 and 3.

This is no time for cute sandals. If you're going to a fair, chances are you're going to be walking a LOT. Hence the requirement for comfort. 

And where you are walking will almost certainly not be paved. It will probably be a combination of dirt, grass, dust, and mud. Or worse, if you visit the livestock barns. That's why the shoes should be closed.

So that's the main tip for today: If you're heading to a fair, make sure your shoes are comfortable and protect your feet.

A secondary tip: It always feels ten degrees hotter at a fair no matter what the actual temperature is. And you will almost certainly be in the sun at least part of the time while you're walking around. Therefore, you should either be fully covered by clothes--pants, long sleeves, and a hat that covers your neck--or wear sunscreen. AND, brings LOTS of water. LOTS AND LOTS. Water bottles that have been half-filled and put in the freezer the night before work well, because they'll stay cold.

Oh! And! Bring food. Especially if you will have children with you. You will not want to be buying them food at a fair all day. I mean, unless you want to spend a small fortune on funnel cakes and french fries. I never went to The Great New York State Fair with children, but I remember being a bit shocked at how much it cost just to feed A. and me. 

Okay, this was supposed to just be what to wear on your feet--remember: closed and comfortable--but then I remembered a couple of other important things.

So. Good shoes, sun protection, water, and food.

And probably a nap afterwards, because man, fairs are tiring. Fun! But tiring.

5 comments:

Kit said...

I agree 100%! Better hot feet than Very Dirty Feet!

Mary W said...

Thanks for the tips! I'm headed to our county fair this Thursday. 4-H is having a dog agility trial and I love watching that sport.

Anonymous said...

I've been to the Minnesota state fair a number of times, and I would add, "Take a shower when you return home"! Mary in MN

Anonymous said...

I’ve only been to a fair one time. But, I remember my mom stressing to me to wear closed toed shoes. And I do not remember eating the food sold at the fair. My parents said they would not spend that much money on unhealthy food.

-Andra

Drew @ How To Cook Like Your Grandmother said...

IMO the same shoe rule applies to carnivals. I see people in slides and flip-flops and I don't understand how they can spend all day walking around in them.