Tuesday, September 6, 2022

T.T.: Riesens for the Win

Do you know about Riesens? If you don't, I am sorry and am now going to educate you. Because anyone who loves chocolate and caramel should know about Riesens.

Riesens are chocolate caramels, you see. That is, they are chocolate-flavored caramels with a chocolate coating. Sort of like Rollos, which I suspect are a more well-known version of this sort of candy. But Rollos are vastly inferior to Riesens. 

And the reason (Riesen/reason, ha) for that is that Riesens are not made by Heshey's or Mars. They are not American. They are made by a German company. That's why the chocolate is actually good dark chocolate and the caramel is actually a very chewy, not too sweet caramel.

In fact, Riesens are made by the Storck Company, which also makes Werther's Original, about the only hard candy I consider worth eating. 

I had not had Riesens in many years, but I saw them at the grocery store in Taos and bought a bag on impulse. They proved to be just as popular with the rest of the family as they are with me. 

At ten dollars a bag, they are definitely not cheap, but there's actually almost a hundred caramels in a bag, and the bag lasts a long time. It's kind of hard to overeat them, because they're so chewy.

Despite their relative priciness, I think they're definitely worth it. They're all gone now, but the next time I see them at a store, you can bet I'll be getting more.


Auf Wiedersehen, my tasty little friends.

2 comments:

sheila said...

Found these chocolate goodies,in a dollar store of all places. Too good, ate 5 pieces and had to hide the rest from myself.

Drew @ How To Cook Like Your Grandmother said...

Their advertising sucks because I never knew what they were before reading this - like Rollos but good dark chocolate and less-sweet caramel?! - and now I have to go get some.