Tuesday, December 13, 2022

Season's Greetings from the Wild West

I never did do a Snapshots post on Sunday, but since many of my photos were of Christmas decorations, let's start there.


The wreath truck-loving Jack made at the school crafting event last week.

Saying he made it is kind of stretch, as in actuality he just chose the things to put on the wreath and pointed where he wanted them, and then I attached them. Because I didn't want him wielding a hot glue gun.

Ditto Poppy and the jars she made into candle holders.


The three in the middle are her new ones, and the two on the outside are older ones her brothers made a couple of years ago.


The jars are painted with glue, then rolled in Epsom salts.

I shocked all the women present by admitting that this was the first time in my life I had ever used a hot glue gun. What can I say? I dislike crafting. And although this was a fun event, I still don't have any great desire to hot glue things.

Anyway!

Although we have several festive decorations up, we do not have our tree. As you may recall if you've read here for awhile, we cut a real tree from a friend's ranch every year. But, since we leave it up until Epiphany--12 days after Christmas Day--I don't want to get it too early. So we usually wait until pretty close to Christmas.

I guess Cubby thought that was too long to wait, so he decided to take matters into his own hands. He brought in one of the many (MANY) tumbleweeds that are choking the fences everywhere . . .


So. Many. Tumbleweeds.

Propped it in an industrial-sized pinto bean can with some rocks, and decorated it.


The other children all contributed an ornament as well.

And then, of course, we had to adapt the song for the occasion. The best I could come up with was kind of lame, but the children liked it.

O Christmas weed, 
O Christmas weed
You blew across the prairie
O Christmas weed, 
O Christmas weed
You blew across the prairie

We brought you in
Inside a can
To celebrate
God as man . . .

I was informed that this cannot take the place of a real tree, and we must still get one of those so there's enough room for the presents underneath, but until then, we have a Christmas weed.

If I may appropriate another carol . . . It's beginning to look a lot like a Western Christmas.

6 comments:

mbmom11 said...

I love the Christmas weed. And I sang your Christmas weed song inside my head as I was reading- perfect!
I think hot glue guns should be handed out in the maternity ward, along with a shop vac and a rug cleaner. Parenting isn't all about diapers. Crafts and mess clean up should be covered as well.
I'll be trying the candle holders- we have a huge bag of Epsom salts left from my husband's experimental effort to recharge his truck battery (no explosion but it didn't work). Rolling a jar is right at my skill level and will count as family holiday activity.
Thanks!

Kristin @ Going Country said...

mbmom11: They really were easy, even for a craft-hater like me. We were given a little cup with Mod Podge and one of those foam brush things. Hold the jar with two fingers of one hand inside it to mitigate gluey hands, brush on a thin layer of the Mod Podge everywhere but bottom and the threads of the top where a lid would screw in. Roll in Epsom salts, then glue on the decorations. FYI, the salts will shed forever, so it's best to put these in something, like a plate or tray, for containment.

Karen. said...

"Rolling a jar is right at my skill level" is maybe the funniest thing I've read in a while. ;)

Anonymous said...

As you may recall, I do not glue or paste. When A's brother was in pre-school and it was my day to be the parent helper, I did stories. I'm glad to see that the kids are not as limited as I.

Gemma's person said...

I am still grinning ear to ear at your song adaptation.......you score several points for that one.

Daisy said...

Oh, Christmas Weed! I love, love, love it.