Sunday, March 26, 2023

Snapshots: Spring Things . . . and Cold


I cribbed the title from the sign I put up in the school library, yes.

The signs of spring are all around! Including blossoms on the apricot tree.


Which will almost certainly perish in the next couple of nights when the temperatures get into the low twenties. Happens every year.

Spring here means high winds. And that means I must now use the laundry lines in the more-sheltered backyard.


Not so good for clothes to be whipping around in 30-mile-an-hour winds.

It looks as if all of the rhubarb plants are coming up.


This precocious plant was the first to come up.

Rhubarb is fairly cold-hardy, but I think 20 degrees will be too much for it. We'll have to cover the plants for a couple of nights, at least.

Cubby is part of the livestock judging team in his FFA chapter. This involves judging a whole bunch of different animals (bulls, steers, pigs, ewes, goats) for different marketability characteristics. They have to give their reasons for their judgements, too. His team went to the district judging contest last week and he left this instructional sheet on the table.


I speak English well, but this might as well be Greek to me.

They did well enough that they're going to the state competition this next week in Las Cruces. He has to iron his clothes for FFA competitions, and he requested laundry starch for a more professional result.

Poppy was not a fan of the smell.


Good thing she was prepared with goggles and a mask.* 

There you have it! My life, snapshotted.

* Yes, he is ironing on the table. I don't own an ironing board, because I iron maaaybe once a year, and I don't want to store one.

6 comments:

Gemma's person said...

I use the top of my freezer for ironing , after laying a big fluffy towel on it. Works great.
Congrats Cubby!

mbmom11 said...

I have an ironing board that has been in the closet for years. I just use the top of the bed to iron. Probably not up to Cubby's professional standards!

Anonymous said...

Two words...ironing pad.
For when the stars align and the wind blows right and you feel the need to iron something (!!)
Amazon...

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Anonymous: Thanks for the tip. Although I'm more likely to buy it for Cubby and let him find somewhere to store it, since he's the only one who irons, apparently. :-)

Tu mere said...

A sensitive nose just like her mom.

Kay said...

You are training up those boys well. Cooking and ironing. DS1 had to learn to iron when he went to college. It has served him well. Both boys like to cook and do it often.